Sunday, February 3, 2008

My First Quilt EVER


Mom taught me how to quilt a long time ago, when I was about 9 years old. Over the next decade plus some, I might have picked up a needle and quilt a few lines while I watched TV if she or Mamaw had a quilt set up in a frame, but I never went out of my way to make anything on my own. My senior year of college, I was burnt out on cross stitch (and a little disgruntled at the lack of cross-stitch designs out there that appealed to my tastes), and found myself with a lot of free time on my hands my last semester. One night, after I had finished all my reading, I started thumbing through a couple of quilt books Mom had saved and sent to me (in hopes I might one day see the light), and I finally decided that it couldn't be that difficult, that I was going to make a quilt. So, with check card in hand, I made my way to WalMart to buy all the necessary supplies.

Needless to say, without anyone's knowledgeable supervision, I picked out pretty crummy supplies, but hey, my fabric all matched, and at that point, that was all that mattered to me.

I decided NOT to spring for a rotary cutter (a big mistake I later discovered), so all my fabric was crookedly cut and since I had no machine with a quarter-inch presser foot, crookedly hand-sewn. Nevertheless, I plowed ahead, hand-sewing all the small triangles into squares, then all the squares into larger squares to form pinwheels. Some of the points came together, most of them didn't.

I thought it was only fitting that I give it to my mother for her birthday later that year, since she was the one who taught me everything I thought I needed to know at that point to make a quilt. She's gracious enough to put it on the couch in the den, where it happens to match all the furniture.

Started: March 2005
Completed: October 2005
Hand-pieced, hand-quilted

No comments:

Post a Comment