Monday, March 3, 2008
This was the first year in many years that I've felt compelled to make a lot of my Christmas gifts. I had everything together by Thanksgiving but didn't really start working on anything in earnest until the first week in December. That was a big mistake, but everything came together, albeit just under the wire. My first homemade gift of the season was a tablerunner for Martha, who hosts our small group Bible study every week, along with her husband, Phil. I used a Mistletoe Manor (Moda Christmas collection from 2006) charm pack I managed to snag on sale over the summer. Mistletoe Manor is my first Moda love, so it took some guts to cut into these squares. It helped knowing I have a 13" tall stack of Mistletoe Manor fat quarters in pristine condition still in my closet. For the quilting, I just stitched in the ditch on my machine.
Apologies for the less than stellar photos. I still need to read the owner's manual for my digital camera.
Started: December 2007
Finished: December 2007
I saw the Dick and Jane quilt for the first time in a Hancock's of Paducah catalog and was mildly interested, but not enamored enough to spend money on it. Then I got a gift card to the local fabric shop, Thimble Pleasures, and decided to splurge on some of the Dick and Jane prints, with no final goal in mind. A few weeks later, the opportunity to cut into my new fabric arose when a friend from work announced that she would be having a baby in the fall.
For the quilting, I sewed in the ditch along all the seams, then did some stippling in the larger squares.
Started: September 2007
Completed: November 2007
So I can't take full credit for this one. In Spring-Summer 2007, the stitching group was somewhat inundated with folks who needed baby quilts, so we decided to piece them en masse. We were lucky that they were all girls, so we met one afternoon to cut and piece all the fabric into a few crazy quilts, using pink and white flannel prints and solids. I took one home and quilted it by hand, just sewing seams in the ditch to anchor all the layers together.
Started: April 2007, Finished: June 2007
Posted by Megan at 10:54 PM
Mom ended up with about 25 extra dishtowels/napkins, after the office party that was supposed to be hosted at their house was moved to one of the local restaurants. As she breathed a deep sigh of relief that she wouldn't have to clean the house, she passed along almost all of the dishtowels to me to do with them what I pleased.
I cut them into 5" squares, then sewed them all together. Since they were so thick, I used an array of buttons to bind all the layers together, instead of trying to sew through all the layers.
Started: December 2006
Finished: January 2007