Friday, May 29, 2009

Best of ...

Best of the Week


A round of up links I liked this week, categorized.

BOOKS
Alice Munro wins the 2009 Man Booker prize


MONEY
Erin attempted to shop for 2 weeks worth of groceries - I've often wondered how much money I would save if I shopped for more than a weeks worth of groceries. I typically plan a week in advance, using the circulars to get "good deals" at the grocery store. I'm intrigued by folks who do the Once a Month Cooking, but I'm not sure if it's practical when I'm usually cooking dinner for just me and the Husband Elect.
Thirty Bucks a Week - This couple continually amazes me because they only spend $30/week on food, and they eat well. Admittedly, they hardly ever buy processed foods and make lots of their staples - pitas, bread, etc - from scratch. In contrast, my goal is to keep the grocery bill at or below $50/week.


FOOD
Kath Eats Real Food - I stumbled across Kath's blog courtesy of the lovely ladies at Cheap Healthy Good. I've enjoyed exploring the site so much this week for a few reasons: 1) This chica has worked hard to lose those pesky college pounds we all seem to gain. She's not shy about the fact that losing weight can be hard work, but it sounds like she had a fun time and has learned a lot in the process. 2) Her recipes sound a-mazing. 3) This girl has done some crazy-good things with oatmeal.
Fast Food Folk Song at the Taco Bell Drive-Through - Usually, I find these commercials to be kind of silly, and I minimize the tab before the songs are over. This time, however, these fellas successfully captivated my attention. Enjoy!


RECIPES I'M ADDING TO MY STASH
Blueberry Corn Muffins - From the Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook
Ultimate Mac and Cheese Guide - 'nuff said
Blueberry Muffins - From Cooks Illustrated
Potato Sour Cream and Chive Bread - Because the Husband Elect's mother gave me a big pot of herbs with chives in there, and I need to find something to use them.
Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes - I'm still warming up to this idea.
Lentil Soup You'll Absolutely Love - Because I think I have all these ingredients on hand
Garden Pesto Tortellini - I will bookmark pretty much any recipe that uses tortellini. Pasta stuffed with cheese - how can you go wrong?
Raspberry and Jam Muffins - Everything's a little better with some streudel on top.
Nutella Pinwheel Cookies - This stuff has captured my heart, arteries and all. I'm always looking for fun new things to do with it.
Italian Bread with Gorgonzola - Scroll down to the bottom of the post, the recipe's there. So dangerously simple.


CRAFTINESS
First of all, let me warn that Sew Mama Sew! is sponsoring a ginormous giveaway bonanza, along the order of 400 participants, many of whom will give you bonus entries if you blog about their giveaway. So I'm going to devote an entirely different post for all those giveaways. In other crafty news, I stumbled across a few other amazing links this week.

QuiltShops.com - Nicole at Sister's Choice Quilts mentioned this online site earlier in the week. Similar to the Fab Shop Hop's FabSearch, this site searches inventories for hundreds of quilt shops around the country, but it seems to consistently return a greater number of hits than the FabSearch application. It was fantastic. Even when I searched for Mistletoe Manor, a 3 Sisters holiday collection from 2005, the site pulled up a couple of pages worth of results. No longer will I worry about not having enough of something. I'm sure to find something workable from the same fabric collection if I run out mid-project.

Margot's Applique Technique
- Margot of The Pattern Basket, provides a straight-forward tutorial on how she goes about appliquing. Make no mistake, applique scares me. I've done it once, because I was being paid to do it, and it was a free-form art-type quilt, so there was some latitude for mistakes. Traditional applique doesn't really have much latitude, and it makes me nervous. This tutorial makes it less intimidating.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link back to the nutella pinwheel cookies. I''m going to check out your other "best ofs..."

    ReplyDelete