Tuesday, May 26, 2009

GTD or WSD? - @ Life

Anyone ever read David Allen's Getting Things Done? Well, I read it about a year ago, and it was inspiring but way too intimidating for me to ever implement successfully. (The ever ubiquitous Wikipedia actually did a pretty good job summarizing Allen's philosophies here. It's just too much for me, I can't take it all.) Instead, I follow the WSD - "Write stuff down" philosophy of life, and while it can lead to some pretty intimidating lists at the end of the day (especially after a long weekend out of town), it feels oh so satisfying to cross stuff off the list.

By the time I left work today, my "@ Life" list (i.e. - the ToDo list that doesn't involve work at all) was a little bit out of control. The husband to be recently moved out of his apartment to stay with his parents for a few months until we get married in September. I inherited all his non-perishable food items, which seemed like a great idea at the time. But now, my kitchen is overflowing with a random assortment of food - spices, dried herbs, baking supplies out the wazoo, so my ToDo lists invariably include some kind of baking/cooking/anything to use up the extra food I've stumbled into. Added to that, we went out of town over the weekend, so I didn't have the weekend to take care of miscellaneous errands, tasks, and baking.

Today's List:
  • Deposit check (the state finally sent my refund check, and I forgot to deposit it for the 10th day in a row)
  • (Done) Grocery Store
  • Watch Netflix movie
  • (Done) Soak beans and cook beans in crockpot overnight - lunch tomorrow
  • (Done) Dry tomatoes in the oven (times are lean, and I just can't justify the expense of sun-dried tomatoes)
  • (Done) Make bread dough
  • (Done) Clean out fridge
  • Get vegetables chopped for marinara sauce (to go in crockpot tomorrow)
  • Make cookie dough
  • Finish stippling 2 rows on quilt
Okay, I'm off to see if I can knock the last few items on the todo list. What was on your life list for today?

1 comment:

  1. For implementing GTD you can use this web-based application:

    http://www.Gtdagenda.comYou can use it to manage your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.
    A mobile version is available too.

    ReplyDelete