Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My First Quilt

Camille and Carrie and teamed up to sponsor a quilt parade of sorts for all you quilt bloggers out there - simply post a photo of your first quilt in all of its splendor and glory, then post a photo of your most recently completed quilty project. So, here goes...


My First Quilt - Red Pinwheels




You might say I made this quilt on a whim, sort of. Mom taught me how to sew and quilt when I was pretty young, but I didn't really start venturing out on my own until spring semester of my senior year of college. One night, after I had finished all my reading, essays, book reviews, etc., I decided I would make a quilt. Seeing as how it was about 10pm, the only open venue hawking fabric was WalMart, so I trekked over, picked up all the fabric and supplies I would need, then clumsily started cutting out all my fabric, according to the directions (sort of). Over the next few weeks, I stitched by hand all the little half-square triangles, then a few weeks later, I started basting all the layers together and quilting by hand. Let's be honest, the WalMart fabric probably isn't going to hold up so well over the years, but I'm still proud of it because it's my first independently completed quilt, mis-matched points and all.


Latest Quilt - Woven Roman Stars



I think this quilt is my favorite so far, but I say that about almost all my quilts when I finish them. The pattern is one of the freebies from the Moda website, and I didn't realize how great it was until I got to sewing the blocks together - since the stars are smaller than the blocks, you don't have to worry about all those points matching up. [Insert sigh of relief here.] The middle of the squares are charm squares from Moda's Roman Holiday wovens, and the other fabrics are from various Moda collections. I had a great time quilting this one also. It was my first adventure using tissue paper instead of drawing the design directly on the quilt top, and I loved it! Well, except that now I have to pick out all the itty bitty pieces of tissue paper from the quilting. Does that come out in the wash? Does anyone know? [Sorry there's no link for the quilt pattern. I just checked the Moda website, and it's NOT THERE ANYMORE. If you're interested, email me, and I can scan it and send it off to you.]


Do you have any first and latest projects to show? If so, be sure to sign up in the comments section on Camille's blog post by Monday!!


True confession: When I was younger, I thought my mom was a little nutty for being so obsessed with fabric, quilting, thread, etc. Now, I totally get it.

6 comments:

  1. Those red and white pinwheels are yummy! And I totally know what you mean about your mom. I used to think mine was nuts too, but not anymore. I totally get it. Thanks for joining in the fun and sharing your great quilts- its good to have ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your first quilt was awesome! I can't believe that was your first!! And your last one was absolutely stupendous!! I just posted my first and it's not even done! Just a quilt top for now...
    I would love the pattern from Moda though! My email is julze11@cox.net. Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your star quilt is stunning! It looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed what the other people wrote. Your Red Pinwheels... very nice!!

    ReplyDelete