Friday, November 27, 2009

Merry & Bright Table Runner 2009

When Moda started their Moda Bakeshop, I was skeptical. I reasoned that it was just a big marketing ploy, and that I wouldn't be able to do any of the projects without buying the specific collection used in the tutorials. Kind of like the recipes they put in the Williams-Sonoma and King Arthur catalogs - you know the ones I mean, right? They look amazing and sound tasty, but you won't get the same results unless you have the company's super-secret (read: expensive) packet of ingredients or jar of the special sauce that makes the texture turn out *just* right. Or I was concerned that all the projects would require you to buy a lot of pre-cuts in one collection. And I just don't have the money for that right now.


Then I took a good look at my fabric closet and realized that I do kind of have lots of charm packs. What would it hurt to try just one little charm pack project? So I tried the first charm pack project eva - the table runner tutorial from Camille - and it was great! I finished the top in about an hour, used up an entire charm pack, and now I have something to adorn our small table for the holidays. I won't lie. Some of the tutorials DO require more than one pre-cut. But there are a good number of tutorials that can be done with just one charm pack, jelly roll, layer cake, or whatever your pre-cut of choice may be. If you've got lots of pre-cut fabric that you have no specific plans for, AND you're itching to start a new project, check out the Moda Bake Shop for some inspiration. A good number of those projects would make great Christmas gifts. Be on the lookout for another completed MBS project next month. And in the meantime, be sure to check out the Moda Bake Shop flickr pool - lots of neat variations and ideas in there!


Started: August 2009
Finished: November 2009
Machine-pieced, Machine-quilted

No comments:

Post a Comment