Tuesday, November 3, 2009

October Accomplishments

For anyone who knows me kind of well, it's probably not a surprise that I keep a spreadsheet of all my quilting projects, complete with self-imposed deadlines and notes to myself. October's list of deadlines was what you might call ambitious, but I managed to almost finish all the projects. My goals included:


Finish the September Schnibbles top - DONE
Start/finish the October Schnibbles top - DONE
Finish the Merry & Bright table topper I started back in August - DONE, except for the binding (post + picture to follow as soon as the binding's done)
Finish the Nature's Chorus table topper I started back in February - DONE, except for the binding (post to + picture follow as soon as the binding's done)
Finish the Pumpkins Gone Wild quilt top I started about a couple of months ago - DONE (pictured)


When I first started quilting, I felt like I couldn't start one project until I had finished another, from pre-washing the fabrics to sewing down the binding, it had to be complete before I could even plan the next project. Obviously, my standards have loosened, as evidenced by the dozen or so quilt tops tucked away in a Rubbermaid bin under the bed. My enthusiasm for creating something with all the new yummy fabric that comes out has vastly eclipsed my need for closure. Nowadays, I tend to piece for a few months, then quilt for a few months to try and catch up. I'll also take a couple of nights off every few months to just sit on the floor with some fabric, a cutting mat, and a rotary cutter and watch a season of the West Wing while I cut up the next few projects. I'd like to think my pseudo-system has made me more efficient and productive. But I'm afraid it's made me slightly more frazzled to have so many projects in different stages.


What about you? Do you have a pseudo-system?


The quilt top pictured is what I would consider my most notable accomplishment for the month because:

1) I had doubts that I would be able to make a quilt of hexagon blocks without pulling all my hair out. But Heather Mulder Peterson's book, Sizzlin' Sixties, made the technique so easy. Added to that, all the quilts in there are adorable. I want to make them all. Twice.

2) These colors are definitely not my normal palette. I've always admired Sandy Gervais's collections in a "Hmm, that's a cute collection but I don't know that I would want lots of it" kind of way. Up to this point, I've contented myself with a few charm packs here and there. But sometime last year, Fat Quarter Shop put the Pumpkins Gone Wild jelly rolls on sale for $15 each. I can't resist a good deal, so it probably wouldn't have mattered what collection was on sale. It was worth it to have some jelly rolls to practice various techniques. Even with all the orange, I'm quite pleased with how the quilt top turned out.


I know the picture's not awesome or anything - I promise a better photo shoot once it's quilted. But be patient. That might not happen until next Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo for your system of goals that keeps you accomplishing! I need to try that!

    ReplyDelete