Friday, January 15, 2010

Best Of My World This Week, Jan 8-14

CRAFTINESS

FOOD
  • Joy the Baker's Top 10 Quick Bread Recipes - Quick breads appeal to me because they pretty much = cake for breakfast, except not quite as guilty. She includes a few savory quick breads on here also that sound extremely tasty and useful for using up some of the stray leftovers in the fridge/freezer.
  • Recipes with Pioneer Biscuit Mix - This mix, NOT Bisquick, was my grandmother's go-to solution for biscuits. After years of trying to perfect the art of made-from-scratch biscuits, Mom caught Mamaw scooping out Pioneer mix into the mixing bowl one morning and discovered that even the most brilliant cooks take short cuts sometimes. The grocery stores I frequented in Carrboro never carried it. Apparently, in Durham, they know what's what.
  • 12 Great Muffin Recipes You'll Love to Bake - Can you tell I've had carbs on the brain this week? I don't know what it is, but all the bread recipes called out to me. Like the above list of quick breads, this link offers a few savory options to off-set the cavity-inducing sweet recipes. Recently, I've come back around to the idea of muffins and cupcakes. Before, I was put off by the amount of work it takes to scoop the dough evenly into the muffin pan. Then I learned Sara Foster's secret: Use a cookie dough/ice cream scoop. Duh. Now I use my muffin pan at least twice a month.
  • Cheap Chianti is often better than the expensive stuff (Slate) - As someone who refuses to spend anymore than $8-$10 on a bottle of wine (and that's the upper limit for special occasions - Valentine's day, special dinners with the fam, etc.), this article validates my stinginess. They never really define "cheap," though.
  • Upside Down Caramelized Apple Cake - Just reading the title makes me want a big bowl of vanilla bean ice cream.

LOL

LIFE
  • Securing Online Passwords - It seems like at least once a month, I set up some kind of new online account. Coupled with the alarmingly high identity theft stats, this article isn't necessarily fun to read, but it's definitely informative and instructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment