Friday, January 8, 2010

Best Of My World This Week

Awhile back, I thought I'd try to do a link-tastic summary of what's caught my eye throughout the week. Well, I fell off the wagon after the first post. I'm going to try it again. Maybe I'll maintain some kind of consistency. Here are some links that looked interesting to me, organized by category.

CRAFTINESS
Garden Trellis pattern (from Jelly Roll Quilts - one of my favorites)
and Shangri-la by 3 Sisters
I have this book and some spare jelly rolls. What's holding me back? Oh yeah, all those other projects I have queued up.
Modern Siggy Block Swap - Started up by Rachel @ p.s. i quilt. I just signed up for my first block swap EVA (f2f or online)! Of course, I have other projects to do, but I've never done a block swap, nor do I usually make projects from the requisite modern fresh fabrics. I'm expanding my horizons. Can't do the swap but want to make some blocks? See her tutorial for great instructions.
Wine Cork Corkboard Project - I save all our wine corks because, well, I'm crazy. Finally, something to do with them instead of throwing them in the crystal bowls we received as wedding gifts.
Rouenneries Disappearing 9-Patch with Flying Geese - It combines lots of my favorite quilty things in one photo. I scored a few pre-cuts of Rouenneries for Christmas, and now I'm on the lookout for ideas of how to use them. One of my ideas? This pattern from Fig Tree Quilts.

FOOD
The 2010 All-Inclusive All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Guide - Okay, I couldn't decide whether to put this under food or under LOL. It's about 80% tongue in cheek and 20% serious.
DIY Pumpkin Spice Latte - Didn't get your seasonal fix of this specialty latte from Starbucks this holiday season? Here's a recipe to make it at home.
Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes/Day Makes Bagels - They make it sound so easy. We LUV bagels, but we're still on the lookout for a good Durham bagel shop. Maybe this will be a suitable alternative in the meantime?
The Top 10 Best No Alcohol Drinks - Did you have a little bit too much over the holidays? Here are a few booze-free ideas for party beverages in the new year.
Dulce de Leche Coffee from The Pioneer Woman - Surely you've seen this woman's website - she's so much fun! I usually don't like coffee, but this beverage might change my mind.

LIFE, etc.
Odd Economic Indicators - Alright, it's a little dated, but I get a kick out of factoid articles. A quick look at some interesting trends that coincided with the recession (that's supposedly over).
Bringing Order to the Chaos of Notes - Have lots of post-it notes all over the place? Still forgetting stuff? Have all your notes for various projects in different places? This article reviews a few software programs that help folks organize all their notes and research.
Staving Off the Diderot Effect - I'm trying to be especially mindful of this, since we're planning to slowly fix up the house over the next few years, instead of doing everything at once.
MyPublisher - Free software to create photo books, calendars, etc. Will probably come in handy when the disc of wedding photos arrives.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog through Dana's (old red barn) post about her 1974 pin wheel quilt. I came over to see yours! Your quilts are all STUNNING!! Lovely, Lovely work!!
    Glad I found your blog!
    Libby from Newnan, Ga

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've come to your blog by way of Quilt Dad's blog. You have some beautiful quilts that you've made. And I love your blog. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your gorgeous work. And how exciting is the possibility of a modern quilt guild!

    ReplyDelete