Monday, February 15, 2010

Menu Plan Monday - February 14-20


So it might look like we keep eating some of the same foods each week. But what's really going on is that I don't really feel like making dinner some nights, and we chow down on our many leftovers. So I just push the unmade meals into the next week. I think this might be the 3rd week in a row that Spinach Shells shows up on our menu. Honest to goodness, we're eating it this week.


Sunday - Spinach and Ricotta Stuffed Shells
Monday - Baked Potato with Vegetarian Cincinnati Chili
Tuesday - Breakfast for Dinner - Hashbrown Casserole (1/2 recipe), Scrambled Eggs, Sourdough Toast
[A word about the hashbrown casserole: This is one of the most lethal dishes I make. Seriously, I've made cakes that have better Nutrition Data ratings than this casserole. Even using the Cooking Light version, which is linked, the nutrition analysis indicates there's a higher percentage of calories from fat than calories from carbs in a serving - this hardly EVER happens. I think Cooking Light took the cheater's way out on this one and just increased the number of servings in the dish, rather than lighten anything up significantly. In summary, this dish is OH SO TASTY, but I don't recommend making this any more than once every couple of months. Everything in moderation, okay, y'all?]
Wednesday - Black Bean and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
Thursday - (Fake) Chicken Divan Casserole
Friday - Frozen Pizza
Saturday - Chilean Bean Stew and Cornbread


Also, I've included our Sweet Potato Chili recipe below...


Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 sweet potatoes, chopped in 1/2" cubes
1/4 c chili powder - we like lots of chili powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 cans red kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5) oz can crushed tomatoes
1 c water (or beer or broth)
2 chipotle peppers (or less/more) and 1 T of adobo sauce from can


In a saute pan heat the olive oil; brown the next 4 ingredients until onions are transluscent. Add the spices and stir to coat the vegetables. Transfer the spiced vegetables to a greased slow-cooker. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover and heat on low 8-ish hours.


Serve with cornbread or cornbread muffins for a great cold-weather meal! I like to brown the vegetables and put all the ingredients in the crock pot the night before. Then all I have to do the next morning is set the crock down in the pot, plug it in, turn it on, and go.


For more menu plans, be sure to check OrgJunkie's website.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sweet potato chili sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have months where I repeat a meal week after week because for some reason or another, we never ate it. I love ricotta and spinach filled shells.

    I wonder if you make the same hashbrown casserole that I make? It's so sinful but soooo good! We haven't eaten that in months.

    ReplyDelete