Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Cart Before the Horse




Whenever I finish a quilt top, I always seem to have a few spare blocks. I have the noblest of intentions of turning those blocks into coasters, hot pads, a big motley scrap quilt or something. But usually, they all just sit in the orphan block bin. This weekend, we spent some time at the in-laws for Easter, and call it spring fever, but lately, I'm not happy sitting down unless I have something to work on. Visits at the in-laws usually require lots of sitting down time yakking away, eating, or watching movies - ideal activities for tackling some binding. In anticipation of said marathon sit-down sessions, last Thursday, I ran upstairs, grabbed a few orphan blocks, sewed them together, made a quilt sandwich, and quilted away.


Friday night, I whipped out my table runner to bind when the post-dinner talks started then realized I had everything I needed except my beloved quilting thread. I was a little antsy, but I survived. Saturday night, I returned triumphant with my thread and managed to tack down the binding before we left.


Do the blocks look familiar to any Schnibblers out there? They're orphans from the very first project I made for the Year of Schnibbles challenge - Winter White. When I set the original quilt on point, I ended up with a surplus of Winter white blocks. Notice that I don't have the un-orphaned quilt top quilted yet - hence the post's title. Eh, whatevs. I have time.


I tried a new quilting design on this one. Some of my stitches are a little bit on the long side, but I like the design enough to keep practicing.


For once, I think my favorite part about this mini-quilt might be the backing. Usually, I'm lukewarm on the backings I use, but this one is beautiful. Honestly, I'm not really sure where/when I got it. But I was such a fan I even used it for the binding.


Vital stats
Started: September 2009
Finished: April 2010
Machine-pieced, machine-quilted
Collection of fabric: Glace by 3 Sisters

1 comment: