Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sew Bee It for June - Confetti Block

Confetti blocks for SewBeeIt

This month Jules asked for a confetti block and sent us a link to her inspiration gallery for the blocks. I was so excited to see that she sent us Kona Raisin fabric as the background, and the scraps she sent are absolutely gorgeous!!


As much as I loved these blocks, for about 3 weeks, I was totally intimidated by them. I had never done anything with this delicate mixture of liberation and structure. Finally, late last week, I decided it was time to stop farting around and come up with a game plan. So I turned to the trusty Google Blog Search to see if I could find a tutorial to give me some guidance. All the blog posts I looked at all referenced the Lady Havartine tutorial, so that's roughly the pattern I followed.


Words to the wise:
  • The smaller you cut your scrap squares, the longer it will take you to make a big block.
  • You'll need more background fabric than you think. Jules sent roughly a fat quarter, and I used at least 3/4 of it to make the 12.5" block and the smaller signature block. Make your local quilt shop happy. Buy more than you think you need.

Finally, if you make this block and like it, take a look at Bonnie Hunter's tutorial on crumb-piecing. It's similar to this block, except her piecing is a lot less structured.

No comments:

Post a Comment