Wednesday, June 9, 2010

TMQG Block Swap Episode 2

Here comes the 2nd installment of blocks I created for the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild swap!


According to The Hubz, this first block is the one that will get me kicked out of quilt guild. He says it's nothing but a floral swastika. But he says that about most pinwheel blocks. What do you think? The traditional pattern is called Flyfoot New, and you can find the instructions for making it here.



The second block is called Sunlight and Shadows. I modified the pattern slightly to make it a bit more symmetrical.



Finally, this last block is a wonky star pattern that I found here. It was so easy to make and would be a great pattern for using up charm squares, if you have lots of them hogging up space in your stash [looks around guiltily]. I'm thinking I might use this tutorial for one of my flickr bees.


Speaking of flickr bees, I'm so excited about a new bee I just joined - Bee Splendid. Karrie will be the beekeeper for this 16-month long bee, and I'm so excited to get started next month! I tentatively tipped my toe in the world of flickr bees earlier this year with Sew Bee It, and overall, I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I am trying not to get too wrapped up in the madness of online quilt bees, though. I want to experiment and shake up my usual routine, but I don't want to overextend myself. If you're interested in joining a bee, take a look at the Quilting Bee Blocks group on flickr. They have a whole discussion thread devoted to new bees looking for new members.

2 comments:

  1. You probably shouldn't tell people what the Hubz said about the first block - they might not see it without the reference - but with it, it's the first thing you see! Pretty blocks, though!!

    And I'm excited to bee in Bee Splendid with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on trying not to over extend myself! It's so easy to do, right?

    Looking forward to getting to know you. :)

    (and I couldn't follow your blog... not even in the top part... can you add a follower option for me purlease...but only if you want to of course) :)

    ReplyDelete