Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Dilemmas and Food



Alright, y'all, here's my quandary. I had this great idea to make a beautiful quilt for my guest room bed out of Martinique fabrics. All was going along swimmingly, until the holiday brain kicked in this weekend, and I flubbed quilting arithmetic 101.

quilting arithmetic fail

I have 2 sets of squares - 9-patch squares and snowball squares. I had high hopes of both sets being roughly 6.5". When I made the sashing on the snowball squares, however, I forgot about the charm square middles ALSO losing 0.25" on all sides for seam allowances, so my snowballs are lovely (if I do say so myself), but they're also 0.5" smaller on all sides than the 9-patches. Oops.


So what do I do? Here are some options I've cooked up:

1) Add more sashing in fun Martinique prints to both sets of blocks to square them up to about 8.5" (8" finished). I think Fat Quarter Shop has a secret camera set up in my room. They just sent out a 40% off Martinique coupon to all their Facebook and twitter followers/friends.

2) Make two lap-sized Martinique quilts - one nine-patch quilt and another snowball quilt. Save the guest room bed to fight another day.

3) Find some other sashing fabric in the stash and make yet another teeny-tiny set of sashing around the snowballs. I'm leaning towards this one because honestly, y'all, my Sonnet sampler quilt is lovely, but it makes my eyes hurt when it gets too close to the pink shag carpet in the guest room. I'd prefer to get this quilt in its rightful place sooner rather than later.


Guidance? Advice? Words of encouragement? Argh.

Our hand painted bakery menu board


Also, here's what we've been eating this week...


Sunday: Snack-type dinner, Dessert + Fireworks @ Durham Bulls game (sold out); alternative celebration: Local Yogurt
Monday: Mint Pea Soup, Rolls
Tuesday: Corn and Roasted Tomato Risotto - Like this, but with fresh corn and roasted tomatoes, instead of mushrooms and spinach
Wednesday: Cheese Quesadillas, Drunken Beans
Thursday: Breakfast for Dinner
Friday: Frozen Pizza, Salad
Saturday: Creamy Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

1 comment:

  1. I like option 3 - teeny tiny sashing around your smaller blocks. I think that would look really good next to the other blocks sashed in white :-)

    ReplyDelete