Monday, September 20, 2010

Making Plans



I think I'm a lot better at making plans on a weekly basis, rather than a daily basis. While I'm naively optimistic about what I can do in a single day, I'm much more realistic at forecasting what I can get done in a week. So here's what I'm thinking.

Glam Garden Collection by Josephine Kimberling
Glam Garden collection by Josephine Kimberling
photography by natalie g. | photography


The Glam Garden Gala - It's seriously time to push the pedal to the medal. This quilt is "due" by our next TMQG meeting on October 10. Uh, I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I decided to make 20 or so dresden plates in a somewhat short amount of time for this challenge when I've never made them before. I'm especially not sure what I was thinking when I picked out a pattern that requires applique. It's time to 'fess up. I have NEVER done machine applique. Just from looking at tutorials online, it looks like it can take some time.




With all this anxiety broiling in the back of my mind, I've been doing what I usually do at the thought of a large task that seems slightly intimidating. I've avoided it. Yes, I know what you're thinking, and my inner responsible voice is saying the same thing. Procrastination isn't a very constructive way to deal with anxiety and uncertainty, but it's an instinctive reaction. I've always always fallen on the "flight" side of the "fight or flight" reaction to perceived threats. Yes, I just called my hobby a "perceived threat." It's time to put my big girl knickers back on and get to work.

In my defense, following this pattern, so far I've:
  1. cut out all the little spokes from the 10" squares
  2. made the top seam, trimmed the point, and turned under to form the point of the spokes
  3. ironed and seamed *most* of the spokes

By the end of this week, I would like to:
  1. have all the spokes of the plates pieced together into actual plates and
  2. have the inner circles and background squares cut out and starched. I'll tackle machine applique next week.
  3. have formulated a plan for my machine applique adventures.

In the meantime, help a homegirl out. Does anyone have any machine applique words of wisdom or favorite no-fail tutorials? Is turning under the raw edges on 18-20 inner circles pure madness at this point?


Bee Blocks - I'd reaallly like to have these blocks in the mail by Friday. Both of the patterns are pretty open-ended this month, so I have some flexibility in creating the blocks. I just need to sit down, formulate a plan, then work it.

sew-bee-it-badge

bee splendid button 150

For anyone who's here for the food, here's what we're eating this week...

  • Scavenge in the fridge for leftovers - we got back from visiting family late last night, and I was too lazy to go to the grocery store.
  • Butternut Squash Soup, Rolls (holdover from last week)
  • Pasta, Homemade Pasta Sauce, Brown-Butter + Sage Roasted Cauliflower
  • Tortilla Black Bean Casserole, Avocados
  • Sloppy Joes (I'm trying it with the fake beef crumbles. We'll see how it goes.), Steamed Broccoli
  • Calzones (The Hubz cooks, while I catch up on my Google Reader and yell words of support and encouragement from the family room!!)
  • Anniversary Dinner @ Dos Perros
For more of this week's plans, be sure to check out today's Menu Plan Monday post on OrgJunkie!


4 comments:

  1. Hi Megan , I hope you get lots done this week and have fun doing it !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a yummy and fun and busy week! I hope it's great~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I found your blog not long ago... very inspiring !
    Perhaps you already know about this machine applique tutorial:
    http://bunnyhill.blogspot.com/2009/02/perfect-harmony-of-thread-needle-and.html

    Hope it helps !

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the machine applique, I'm here for any hands on needs.

    Turning the edges before machine applique would make the *cleaner* look, better for utility use.

    What's faster is raw edge applique with some wonder under/double sided fusible on the outside edges to reduce fraying. Satin stitch on edge. Doing just raw edge would fray too much if not stabilized.

    ReplyDelete