Monday, September 27, 2010

An Update on my Plans...

At the risk of speaking too soon, I think I might actually finish this quilt on time. Here's some Glam Garden progress from the weekend...

A week ago, a very large part of me was unsure I'd ever make it this far in a week. After all the tedious time it took to cut and make all those blasted dresden spokes, I was having visions of many sleepless nights spent hunched over my sewing machine, trying to finish the quilt. But once I started piecing all the spokes together to form plates, the pace of work picked up considerably.

I had big big plans to try all the machine applique methods out there on small sample shapes, just to see what I liked the best.

Am I an insane would-be overachiever with the best of intentions? Um, yes.

Luckily, the first 2 methods I tried suited my needs just fine. For the blue circles in the middle of the plates, I'm using starch to stabilize the pieces, then a tight satin stitch all the way around the circles, like you see here. The plates themselves are already folded under, due to the way the spokes are constructed with Darlene Zimmerman's EZ ruler, so I'll starch the bejeebus out of them too, and a blanket stitch should work out nicely to attach them to their backgrounds, kind of like what you see here.

Unfortunately, there was a camera card mix-up with the entrance of a new camera into the household. All those Glam Garden photos I took when the sunlight was streaming through my sewing room window that I thought were on my camera card are actually on my camera. And I don't think I've seen the connector cord for my camera since I took it out of the box 3 years ago. Sorry y'all, but Glam Garden progress photos will just have to wait for another day.

[Insert big sigh of relief here.] My zen has returned.

I also managed to crank out my Bee Splendid blocks. Carrie posted a few inspiration photos to get the creative juices churning, then pretty much gave us free reign, as long as 1) the blocks were 12.5" square and 2) we included a little blue square in our block somewhere. Guess what I forgot to do.

That's right. As I picked up the envelope to place my squared-up, photographed, nicely folded blocks in there to mail back out to Carrie, a couple of small blue squares fell out of the envelope and on to my cutting table. Gah, typical.

Seeing as how I had just squared up these blocks and had precious few scraps of fabric left, I was disinclined to cut them up and do the math on how to integrate these blue squares into the blocks. So I decided to take my freshly-developed machine applique skillz for a test-drive. I simply machine-appliqued the blue squares on top of the pseudo-finished blocks. Then I thanked my lucky lone stars that Bee Splendid has a modern bent/focus. Here are the final results:

I'm a flake part I

I'm a flake, part II


For anyone who happens to be here for the food, here's what's on tap this week:

Anniversary Dinner @ Dos Perros
Pizza, Salad
Double Decker Tacos, Avocado Slices
Twice-Baked Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli, and Fish for me
Football night - The Hubz is at the game, I eat what I want

Be sure to check out OrgJunkie for more weekly menu plans!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! My G3 quilt is awaiting a binding since the sewing machine is in the shop.

    I thought you were a little nuts when you told me what you were planning to use your fabric for. Yikes, not everyone does a dresden because it is time consuming! Glad it's all working out for you. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    I'm going media blackout until the final reveal at the guild meeting.

    ReplyDelete