Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A New Weekly Feature and UFO Busting, continued

Inspired by Election Day yesterday, I've decided to start hosting my own weekly mini-polls. Will you be deciding the fate of the nation? Um no. But I still want your vote! These polls are going to be slightly more whimsical, just so I can see if anyone is out there reading my blog and get to know those readers a little better.

So, in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday here in the U.S., the inaugural question is: What's your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?

Source: http://i-love-cartoons.com/snags/clipart/Thanksgiving/Peanuts/Snoopy-Woodstock-Thanksgiving-Dinner.jpg

We're doing Thanksgiving with the Hubz's family this year, and it sounds like my mother-in-law is delegating all items but the bird and the stuffing to other family members, so she actually has time to go to the bathroom. She's a smart woman, I tell ya. So I'm curious, what's your favorite side dish? Look over to the sidebar, and cast your vote! If it's "Other," please feel free to leave a comment telling me what it is. I'll refrain from lobbying for my favorite side dish to win. :)

Source: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/3343412742_86e2ec0558.jpg

The poll will be open for a week, and I'll post and comment on the final results NEXT Wednesday. You're on the edge of your seats, right?

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled crafty program...

UFO Busting with Pat Sloan, Step 3 - Carve out some time.

source: http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2007/09/timer360.jpg

I'll be the first to admit that I am a planner. I think I entered the world with a Dayrunner clenched in my fat chubby hands. Some of my happiest times of the day are when I'm making lists of stuff to do (someday) and breaking large projects into smaller manageable tasks. And don't even get me started on spreadsheets. I could talk a person's ear off on how I organize my lists in spreadsheets.

Source: http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/27023-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Red-Pencil-Marking-Of-Items-On-A-Check-List-On-A-Clipboard.jpg

But those lists don't really mean anything if I don't set aside some time to tackle the items on said lists. In that vein, Pat suggests setting aside 15 minutes a day to work on the projects from your UFO list. I've been diligently doing so but not on any of the 3 projects that I identified in my last post. Oops. Instead, I pulled my mini-Wild thing quilt out of the bottom of a tote bag and started working on it the other day.

Source: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2129/2456318269_dcaa49abe2.jpg?v=0

Indeed, Pat was right. In a few 15-minute spurts, I've been able to get quite a bit of the initial chain-piecing done. Now I iron. And iron. And iron.

I'm not really sure what made me rebel and reach for these projects instead of the ones I initially planned to tackle. But I'm not going to worry about it. All progress = forward progress, right?

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite side!

1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to manage that 15 minutes a day thing. Some days I do, even if it's just to sit down and piece together some hexies in front of the tv. Some days I don't. Oh well.

    Favorite side? It's a new one--Rick Rodgers's Mashed Potato casserole, from his Thankgiving 101 cookbook. We tried it last year for the first time, and it was a HUGE hit. Best of all? I can make it a couple of days beforehand, and reheat it on the day of.

    ReplyDelete