Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Around My Sewing Room

After an unplanned blogging vacation of sorts, I'm happy to say that I'm baaaaacckk, with a quick tour of what's been going on in my sewing room.

I spent most of this past weekend in my warm fuzzy sweatpants, with my nose to the quilting grindstone. Last night, I finished quilting my first scrap quilt ever. Hard to believe, huh? I've been quilting for 5 years now, and this is the first quilt that originated completely from my stash without any sort of manufacturer intervening on which prints/colors go with what.

IMG_1948-e

Final pictures will have to wait on 1) the binding and 2) optimal weather conditions, which have been few and far between in these here parts the last few weeks.

IMG_1930

Another exciting development is that my sewing room has become a little bit more ergonomically sound, and unlike most ergonomic upgrades, it cost less than $15. (Did I just hear the sound of 3 people doing that weird snore/snort thing that happens when they nod off in the middle of a boring meeting?) I know, I know, ergonomics is kind of a snooze. I know I always click through the obligatory ergonomics powerpoints during office orientation as quickly as possible so I can get back to my exciting spreadsheets. BUT quilting is my hobby, and I don't want it to cause me pain.

Anyways, I'd like to introduce you to the risers.

IMG_1949-e

Anyone who's short on space has probably seen these risers before. You usually put them under the legs of your bed to increase storage space. While increased storage space is a nice side benefit, my goal was to make my rotary cutting experience a little less painful. Whenever I had to cut for more than 15 minutes or so, my neck, shoulders, and lower back would be crying out in old lady pain. I'm already an old soul. I don't need to have an old achey body, too.

I use a little depression-era table for my cutting table. Mom got it for me from one of the local antique shops when I moved into my first apartment. I love this little table, but it's slightly short for a cutting table. Over the summer, I was perusing this book at Mom and Dad's house. It recommended that the surface of your cutting table fall an inch or two below your ELBOWS. The surface of my cutting table was roughly parallel with my WRISTS. Sheesh, no wonder I've been in such pain.

The book showed all these big fancy cutting tables that looked absolutely luxurious, and once I started doing research, I realized that they can be kind of expensive, unless you're lucky enough to find a used one. Honestly, y'all, I'd rather spend my money on fabric than on furniture, even if it is for the sewing room.

So, armed with a Bed Bath and Beyond gift card and a couple of those ubiquitous BB&B coupons that don't actually expire, I picked up a box of 4 (7") risers. And voile!

IMG_1950-e

I'm very pleased to introduce you to my (messy) ergonomically-friendly cutting table. Total upgrade costs: $12. Money saved on ibuprofen over the next year: $50 (estimated).

Here are a couple of upcoming projects in various stages of completion and disarray around my sewing room:

IMG_1951-e

A stack of Fig Tree fabric for a Christmas gift/Just One Charm Pack tutorial (time to GET ON that)

IMG_1952-e

My Plan C Schnibbles in Simple Abundance, with the batting and backing that I need to piece together, then baste.

Finally, on to the food for the week...

For more menus, be sure to check out this week's edition of Menu Plan Monday on OrgJunkie.

6 comments:

  1. Smart girl! It's amazing what a difference it makes, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. a) what a great idea
    b) you are making me HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you could just go out and buy risers like that! Whenever we go on quilting retreats we have to rig up risers to make a cutting table, and one of our husbands created something involving pvc pipes. Bed Bath and Beyond, here I come. What a difference having a table the right height is going to make for you.
    Love the way you list your recipes for the week. I am surmising that you are vegetarian? Do you have a favorite cookbook?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The parallel quilting on the scrap quilt is stunning, absolutely lovely, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Scrap quilt. I have been studying the picture trying to figure out your pattern and how you did it! I am enjoying your blog and reading back segments. I started using my Kitchen Counter to cut fabric. It is lower than 2" from elbow but better than the height of my dinning room table. Have a great 2011!

    ReplyDelete