Fast forward to the beginning of 2011. All of my scrap bins are now overflowing.
Pictured from the other side, still pretty much full.
Here are my scrap bin categories:
- Charm (5") squares - a stack for light and another stack for dark
- Dark 2.5" strips
- Light 2.5" strips
- 1.5" strips, with dark on one side and the light strips on another. It might be time to separate those out into 2 bins.
- Flying geese units - stacks of 2.5"x4.5" logs (separated into light and dark) and 2.5" squares (also separated into light and dark) - Again, it might be time to separate those units into 2 bins.
Over the past year or so, I've made a few efforts to use up some of my scraps. First there was Scrap Quilt I - a strip-pieced double hourglass quilt I made from the bin of dark 2.5" strips. (Note to self: come up with a catchier title for this quilt before you do your "finished" blog post about it.)
Next, I pulled out a few dozen dark charm squares for KarrieLyne's charm pack quilt along.
Then I pulled out 100 light colored charm squares, cut them in half, and left them to percolate on my fabric shelf.
After all that, my bins are still overflowing.
So this year, I'd like to get all the previously described quilts to the next phase in the process, along with 2 additional scrap quilt tops, using scraps from my bins.
Here are some ideas I'm tossing around...
From the 1.5" scrap bin:
- Pieced Scrap Border Quilt from Red Pepper Quilts
- Moose on the Loose from Miss Rosie Quilts
- Bento Box Block from Little Miss Shabby
- Bordered String-X Quilt from the Nittany Block Party
- Bullseye Blocks from Cluck Cluck Sew
- Stashbuster #1 and #2 also from Little Miss Shabby
- Strip-Pieced Bento Box from SuperMom
From the 2.5" scrap bins:
From the charm square bin:
As always, I'm open to other options, and my plans are probably going to change approximately 347 times before I actually finish the tops.