Thursday, March 3, 2011

March Madness - All Kinds

Mom visited last week for a few days, specifically so we could take a day and explore the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival up in Hampton, VA. The whole trip was excellent. I think Mom had a good time, I know I did. Let me just tell you that there is something about my mother's very presence that ignites a fabric-buying frenzy in me. She's never been pushy or a nag. She doesn't drop subtle hints. It's just my irrational reaction to her aura, and it's gotten worse since the 'rents moved far far away.

When she visited last August, I very efficiently acquired 13 yards of fabric in just a few hours. I think I might have matched that total this past weekend. It was awesome. Very rarely do I let myself go like that, when it comes to spending money on fabric. I tend to very carefully and judiciously mete out relatively small bits of my fabric allowance at a time to evenly distribute the acquisition of fabric throughout the month. I didn't exercise that kind of self-control at the quilt show.

After this past weekend, I have no fabric allowance left for the next 6 or so weeks. If you need me, you'll find me at my sewing machine, merrily quilting away with my new fabric or catching up on my email and google reader.

Even happier news is that a good chunk of my allowance was spent "responsibly." Thanks to thousandsofbolts and my already ample stash, I now have enough fabric to back and bind 4 quilts - I'm planning to work on this one
Gobble Gobble NIne Patch

this one
IMG_2208

this one
Schnibbles Winter White

and then finally piece and quilt something from this fabric.
IMG_1806-e

Oh, but first I have a project to finish for a christening gift this weekend. That's right, the weekend that starts tomorrow. It's almost done. I just have to add the label with the Bible verse to the back.

Hot off the presses

Thus, I am declaring March to be the month of Machine Quilting Madness in my house. Hopefully, I won't run out of thread.

There's yet another type of March madness kicking off this week - have y'all seen Fat Quarterly's March Modern Fabric Madness? They've set up brackets, squaring off some of the most popular fabric lines from recent years against each other. Be sure to fill out your brackets and cast ballots for your favorites - the first round of voting is up and open until this Saturday, March 5th! I can't wait to see who wins!

Finally, lest you think we're starving ourselves in the name of machine quilting, here's what we've been eating this week:

2 comments:

  1. Such beautiful quilts, Megan! You've got your work cut out for you, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan
    I jumped over from Sarah Craigs blog. When I read you grew up in East Tennessee well that was enough for me. You do lovely work. I'm already a follower.

    ReplyDelete