Wednesday, March 30, 2011

WIP Wednesday

This week is all about machine quilting. I always wonder why I procrastinate and procrastinate a little bit more when it comes to machine quilting. I always enjoy it when I'm working on it. There's something oddly meditative about the hum of the machine.

fandango snowballs - quilting in progress

Here's a peek at what I've done so far. I'm using a design that I found in this book. I wish I could say that I have a very profound system for picking out my quilt design. But I don't. I only have a few criteria: 1) it must not be too difficult with lots of loops and swirls 2) it can't be too girly (to appease the Husbatron) and 3) the original design must roughly fit in the space I have for it, since I don't have easy access to a copier for resizing the design.

At 3.5" inches, I thought this design was perfect for the 4.5" snowballs.

Once I've decided on my designs, I usually use this method to apply them to the quilt.

After I finish quilting the designs in the individual snowballs, I'll do some stitching in the ditch, followed by some stippling in the cream background to highlight the charm squares. My goal has been to stitch the designs on 7 snowballs (1 row's worth) each night, and then to stitch in the ditch around the hexagons and the tiny diamonds between the hexagons.

Tonight, I'm taking a brief break to work on my Bee Splendid blocks for Sarah. She sent us some Nicey Jane fabrics (squeal!) to make this block.

nicey jane prints for bee splendid

Time to get crackin'. Hope everyone's having a productive week!

I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday, hosted by Lee at Freshly Pieced.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good, Megan! I like the machine quilting, too. It's very soothing....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your machine quilting looks grat. Those pieces of Nicey Jane are going to make a great bee block.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really cool technique. Maybe I'll graduate to that point someday too.

    BTW, so nice to know I'm not the only potty-mouthed quilter ;) (Scorsese - you make me laugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilting looks great! I need to try something like that - different from my usual lines! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete