Thursday, April 28, 2011

Life Update

1. Home Improvement

For the second weekend in a row, I took a few days off from almost all technology to get caught on some ToDos around the house. The biggest accomplishment: We painted over the wood paneling in our family room. Here are a few  "before" pictures:

DSCN0806

DSCN0805/

Here's an after picture:

During photo

Doesn't the white make the room look so much cleaner? Let's face it, I need as much help as I can get in the cleaning department. This was definitely a welcome change. The Husbatron also replaced our ceiling fan/light fixture with something a bit more modern AND replaced all the 1970sesque chocolate brown wall outlets with some plain white ones that blend in with the walls a bit better.

This week, we're hoping to paint the upper walls in this room. But first, we have to find a color that will work. 

2. Works in Progress

While waiting for paint to dry, I did manage to sneak upstairs for a sewing session or two. I've finished quilting vertical squiggly lines on my Gobble Gobble quilt.

halfway quilted

Next I'll quilt horizontal squiggly lines to create a squiggly grid.

3. H2H Update!

Y'all, I would just like to say that my swap partner for the H2H project is what you might call the bomb-diggity! Look at the fabric she sent - all French General prints! I've been eager to bring a little bit of French General into my life, and I'm so glad I have the opportunity.

array of h2h fabrics

I'm throwing in a few other medium-to-light-toned prints from my stash.

with my scraps added in

I might also pick up a dark chocolate brown print to use as a background. I'm still churning around pattern ideas, but here are a few pictures that have inspired me:


4. FOOD!

I've been so remiss in posting our menu plans lately. We've been eating, promise. Here are some highlights from the past couple of weeks:
For Easter dinner, we went to the in-laws, and I made Monica's deviled eggs for an appetizer and Dorie Greenspan's carrot cake for dessert.
We've tried out a few new (to us) Durham restaurants - Bull City Burger and Brewery (this one's actually brand spankin' new), Handy Kitchen for takeout Chinese, and Blue Corn Cafe.
There have also been lots of old standbys in rotation - Bean and Rice Burritos, Risotto, Pizza, Spinach and Ricotta Shells
A few new recipes - Potatoes and Peas in Red Curry with Rice, Enchiladas (modified to use fake beef crumbles)

I hope everyone is staying safe with all this crazy weather and doing their best to enjoy the week!

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Megan! Your paint job looks awesome - I've done the same thing and it's a lot of work but so worth it! Your quilting is coming along nicely, and I love your H2H fabrics and potential designs - looks like you've got it well under control! I can't wait to see what you decide on....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never been called the bomb-diggity before! ;-)

    I love your paint job! I'm in the midst of a lot of painting right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The white paint on the paneling looks so fresh--love it! And the Gobble Gobble quilt is awesome--are you using a walking foot or a darning foot for the wavy-line quilting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan!

    First of all, the paint looks great!
    Secondly, how did they like the eggs?

    (Thanks for the linkylove!)

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget the charm pack challenge! You promised me wonky! Other than that, your paneling looks so much better. Bet the room is looking bigger and brighter, too. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The white paneling turned out great! Makes the room look years younger... and probably bigger! Can't wait to see what upper color you paired with it! :)

    ReplyDelete