Tuesday, June 14, 2011

ebay - love it or hate it?

I'm not one of those ebay fiends who buys some awesome item at a rock-bottom price and then re-sells it and turns a profit, but the few ebay transactions I've had have been pretty satisfying. The first time I used ebay was to buy my wedding dress.

ebay wedding

I was a bit nervous about the idea, but I figured that if the dress turned out to be a complete disaster, then I was only $100 in the hole, which isn't too terribly bad when it comes to purchasing a wedding dress. I'm happy to say that after Mom altered and re-hemmed it a bit, it worked out just fine.

Wedding - Officially hitched

My next purchase: this Cotton Blossoms layer cake, many many moons ago. I bought it a couple of years back to do Rachel's Pinwheel Quilt Along. I think I'll still eventually use this fabric for this particular project, but I've been sidetracked for the past few years.

IMG_2436-e

My most recent purchase: some Martinique scraps by 3 Sisters for Moda. I'm still pondering what exactly to do with these strips. I didn't have a specific plan in mind, but the strips weren't expensive, the fabric is cute, and I was feeling exceptionally virtuous yet fun-loving because I had just finished a couple of projects and was about to head out on vacation.

IMG_2435-e

What about you? Do you have a love or hate relationship with ebay? Have you ever used it to de-stash?

8 comments:

  1. Impressive that you got such a beautiful dress on Ebay. You were a lovely bride!

    I've only bought notions on Ebay and dies for my Sizzix big shot. I might have to hunt down some fabric on there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice dress! Nice photos too. I have never used ebay. I do use Etsy though and it's been great.

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were a beautiful bride and that dress was really pretty. You did great with that ebay purchase.

    When I first started quilting I bought fabric on ebay just to get a stash. I have used ebay to buy fabric I couldn't find anywhere else.

    I have never tried to sell on ebay. I have a lot of vintage patterns I am thinking of selling there or open an etsy shop to sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never bought fabric on eBay, but I've bought several really nice pieces of art (originals and limited editions) for about 10% of their actual value - that makes me smile!! I don't think I would use it to sell anything crafty at this point - etsy is so much more reasonably priced and has the target market.

    Your wedding dress was gorgeous.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never thought to look for fabric on ebay, although I buy a lot of fabric on Etsy. I should check it out! I have been thinking of trying to sell some clothes and other things on ebay, so we'll see how that works out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. great dress. I use ebay sometimes, when I get annoyed and want to shopping at home. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dress! I rarely use ebay, and when I do it makes me very nervous. Only one bad problem so far, and I did get our money back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had better luck selling fabric on my blog. I have used eBay to sell purses and clothing though. The only thing I don't like about it is the big fees you have to pay. Between the eBay and PayPal fees, your profit gets eaten into! As far as buying things through eBay, I don't really do it, but my son has had tremendous success with both buying and selling.
    Your dress was lovely, and you were a gorgeous bride!

    ReplyDelete