I'd like to submit this quilt as exhibit A to be filed under "using my hobby as procrastination." I started this quilt about 6 days before I got married. There were probably other things I should have been doing. But at the end of the week, I still ended up married, right?
Sidenote: this wasn't my oldest WIP, but that's another story for another day.
Back in October 2009, I finished my first quilt top for the Year of Schnibbles project with Sherry and Sinta. Ideally, I would have quilted each Schnibble as soon as I pieced it, but meh, we all know how that goes. You don't have the ideal backing fabric on hand and don't have enough fabric allowance left at the end of the month to buy some, you're seduced by the next greatest collection that just came out and start a project with that instead. Oh, and then you buy a house. I could go on, but I don't really need to, do I?
Anyways, folks like John and Angela actually followed the instructions. Take a look at their blogs to see what the quilt was supposed to look like. Rather than shell out the money for the pattern, however, I decided to wing it and rely on some good old-fashioned quilt math to get me through. This trend continued throughout most of the Year of Schnibbles; my quilt math worked better some months than others. I settled down with some scratch paper and did the math on how many charm squares were in each block and in which colors.
I had a Glace layer cake and some cream background fabric on hand, so I was able to make a few more blocks than what's in the original pattern. To make the quilt even bigger, I set the blocks on point and added a couple of borders. Also, if you take a close look, you'll notice that I swapped the print and the background fabric for the flying geese units. This block is my favorite one overall. Don't you just love the itty bitty red flowers against the blue?
These two changes (setting the blocks on point + swapping around the flying geese) led to a lot more neutral/background space in the quilt, which was an effect that I was really starting to dig at that point.
All together, I made 16 blocks, with 3 leftover that I turned into a tablerunner, along with probably a dozen or so leftover charm squares.
A couple of months ago, I finally backed and basted the quilt top.
For the quilting, I just free-motion-quilted an allover loopy design that has turned out to be my most efficient quilting motif. Here's a peek at my favorite print from this quilt with a close-up of the quilting:
After sending it through the washer and dryer, it's ready to grace the back of my couch. If you'd like to see other versions of this quilt, take a blast through the past and check out both Sherry's and Sinta's parades.
- Started: September 2009
- Finished: May 2011
- Machine-pieced, machine-quilted
- Fabric collection: Glace by 3 Sisters for Moda