Monday, November 28, 2011

Why I Love the Bloggers' Quilt Festival

There are a few features, where the bloggers' quilt festival definitely has a leg up on in-person quilt shows...

1) You can go to the bloggers' quilt festival in your sweatpants. I mean, I guess you could do this with an in-person quilt show, too. But I try not to roll out of our driveway, unless I'm wearing bottoms that zip and/or button.
2) You don't get dirty looks from the white gloved show ladies when you attend the show with a corn dog in hand.
3) You can step away when inspiration overload hits and come back to the festival a few weeks later with fresh eyes and pick up right where you left off.

I'm a big fan of the Bloggers' Quilt Festival, obviously. Here are a few of my favorites from the most recent Fall Quilt Festival...

                                                                    Source: naptimequilter.blogspot.com via Megan on Pinterest

I love that this quilt takes the humble, unassuming half-square triangle unit and morphs into something awesome!


                                                              Source: domesticlightandmagic.blogspot.com via Megan on Pinterest

All the negative space on this quilt creates a lovely effect. And the blocks really get to take center stage, since there are only six of them. Added to that, the crinkliness from the small-scale stippling embodies coziness.


                                                                  Source: ahhhquilting.blogspot.com via Megan on Pinterest

Everything about this quilt intimidates me: the curved piecing/applique, the way the white spokes perfectly alternate with the colored spokes in the adjacent wheels, and click over to the post to see some awesome quilting. Ker-plunk. That was the sound of me dropping this quilt into my bucket list. 

                                                                      Source: bloomingpoppies.wordpress.com via Megan on Pinterest

This is one of those quilts that makes me wish I could pop a few creativity pills so I could come up with a fresh wonky design and layout like this. It's so whimsical and fun!

                                                                  Source: sewcraftyjess.blogspot.com via Megan on Pinterest

Again, ker-plunk into the bucket list. This quilt is a great example of how versatile "traditional" patterns can be. Don't scoff at a traditional block just because you don't like the fabrics. 

Did you have any favorites? Are you an online quilt festival junkie? If so, then be sure to check out SewCalGal's Christmas Quilt Festival this week!

And just in case you're here for the food, here's what we're eating this week...

Be sure to check out this week's edition of Menu Plan Monday at OrgJunkie for more of this week's menus!


4 comments:

  1. The Beach Umbrella quilt is absolutely gorgeous. It looks intimidating but I may have to add it to my bucket list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the half square triangle is very cool. It makes me want to do another. almost

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Beach Umbrella quilt! I'd love to have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 is cracking me up!

    the aqua/orange spokes quilt is amazing!

    it is fun to go through and check everyone's entries out. so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete