Wednesday, June 8, 2011

WIP Wednesday - the month-long edition

Like I mentioned the other day, we spent a week at the beach with family to celebrate the brother's graduation. Mom and I set up shop on the huge dining room table with our sewing machines, an ironing board, and a cutting mat.

Some people binge-eat or binge-drink on vacation. I chose to binge on new projects, 4 of them to be exact. Two of them are H2H commitments. For the other two projects, I'm making the same blocks as my h2h projects, but I'm using fabrics from my stash. Ever since I read about how Sherry simultaneously made 2 sampler quilts from different fabrics, I've been inspired to multitask like this to whittle down my stash ever so slightly.

DSCN1474

I did a fair amount of cutting before I left, so I could immediately start working on block construction while on vacation.

First up - my half-square triangle projects. For the H2H quilt, I bought a brown solid fabric to use as background with the various French General prints and the medium green and blue prints pulled from my stash. I've mentioned it before, but I'm planning to eventually arrange the blocks like Natalie's HST-Bliss quilt.

IMG_2441-e

The equivalent quilt from my stash uses a charm pack of Freebird by Momo and a charm pack of Chrysalis by Sanae, along with some Kona Snow from my stash as the background. I'm still pondering layouts for this quilt. I'm leaning towards a classic layout like Rita's. Mom worked on a similar pattern at the beach, using a crisp white background with lots of scrappy French fabrics, so that pattern's been on my mind.

IMG_2444-e

I'm looking at a LOT of cutting, pressing, then squaring up for both projects. I might have HST fatigue by the time I've finished.

My next H2H project only has two fabrics - the gray is from Rouenneries by French General, and the red is old-school Robyn Pandolph; I think the collection's name is Folk Art Christmas by Moda. Mom had a whole BOLT of that red that she passed along to me, so it's probably going to keep popping up in projects over the next few months. It's the first time since forever that I've used such a small number of prints in a quilt. I'm making Double 4-Patch blocks, as tutorialized here, but I might choose one of the alternate layouts.

IMG_2438-e

The corresponding stash quilt is using charm squares from my scrap bin and some cream tone on tone that Mom bequeathed to me. I'll probably use this layout for the scrappy version. I was a bit shocked to discover that there was 6+ yds of the tonal fabric - plenty to make either a huge bed quilt or a couple of lap-sized quilts. I'm leaning towards making a couple of smaller quilts, so I can have some charity quilts on hand. I initially cut out the fabric for this quilt months ago. I'm glad I've finally developed a plan for it.

IMG_2439-e

The H2H quilts are "due" in mid-July, but I've set an artificial deadline for myself to finish by the end of this month. I might have to abandon the corresponding stash quilt projects to focus on cranking out the H2H quilts in time.

I had an ever so narrow window of time at home between the beach and my conference. Over those few days, when I wasn't doing laundry or straightening up the house, I was in the sewing room, working on a new Just One Charm Pack tutorial, using a few different Fig Tree collections. The quilt top and the backing have been pieced. Next, I "just" need to baste, quilt, and bind. I'm hoping to also knock out that project soon-ish.

IMG_2437-e

Still waiting in the wings: my Bliss quilt. I basted it before we went to the beach, and I've decided on how to quilt it. I'm planning to use tracing paper to transfer my designs to the quilt. The designs themselves are 5", and there are 3 designs per square, with a total of 42 squares in the quilt. All that adds up to a heckalotta prepwork to get the tracing paper ready. This one might take awhile. In the meantime, I cringe every morning when I make the bed with the Christmas quilt still on it.

My Christmas Quilt!

So, there you have it - all the sewing I've managed to squeeze in over the past few weeks. I'm so eager to start working more on these projects in earnest. Here's to a productive summer!!!

I've been inspired by other WIP Wednesdays to track all, yes ALL of my WIPs. To that end, I've set up a spreadsheet (you're shocked, I'm sure) with the basic steps of my quilting process to get a handle on where everything's at. If you're interested, just click here to see my spreadsheet/nuttiness. Please don't judge me when you see the total number of WIPs listed, k?

I'm linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. Check and see what everyone else has been up to lately.

4 comments:

  1. You're very busy. Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! I think I need a nap after reading about your WIPs--but you are so organized about it all.

    I love the Christmas Quilt, and don't worry about having it on your bed--there was once a famous basketball player who kept his Christmas tree up all year to remind him to have the Christmas spirit. Just tell everyone that's your reasoning.

    It's beautiful, and I'd love seeing it every morning!

    Elizabeth E.
    http://occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to be making a stash quilt at the same time as the other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing your spreadsheet! I keep writing lists of my WIP quilts, but that is so much more organized. :)

    ReplyDelete