Monday, July 18, 2011

Yet Another Coin Quilt

This quilt has been waiting in the wings for a few weeks now. I finished it before the Kona solids flurry of activity, but it's taken me awhile to make time for a photo shoot and to gather my thoughts about it.

I'm very pleased to introduce you to Yet Another Coin Quilt.

IMG_2639-e

I used a charm pack of Buttercup by Fig Tree Quilts to make the coins, the background = Kona Cream, and the borders and binding came from Whimsy, another Fig Tree Quilts collection from a year or two ago.

IMG_2641-e

The backing fabric is a combination of leftover Fig Tree and 3 Sisters prints I had in my stash - Hurrah for using up the stash!

IMG_2651-e

The quilting is a paisley-type echoed scallop pattern. I think I first saw this pattern in action here (blogged here). Then I decided to shamelessly copy try my own hand at  it. I've used this pattern in the borders of my Christmas-y inverted 9-patch quilt and again in the borders of my first double diamond 4-patch quilt. But this coins quilt is the first time I've attempted to quilt it over the entire surface of a quilt. You guys, this quilting pattern takes forever, compared to your run of the mill stippling. Maybe speed comes with practice?

IMG_2650-e

Stick around for a(nother coin quilt) tutorial later this week!

Vital Statistics:

  • Started: May 2011
  • Finished: June 2011
  • Machine-pieced, machine quilted
  • Fabric: Buttercup by Fig Tree Quilts, Whimsy by Fig Tree Quilts, and Kona Cream


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt, Megan! I love coin quilts....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so simple but beautiful - and the quilting looks great! Fantastic job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt! Congratulations on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete