Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Weekend Accomplishments

With all my quilts in progress, sometimes I get the itch to complete something quickly. With a family birthday coming up, I decided it was the perfect opportunity to start and finish a quick projet.

Enter Kate's wine tote tutorial over at Needle and Spatula.

The brother-in-law requested some wine for his birthday. While the Husbatron and I were out shopping for wine the other night, he said, "Well, I don't really know if my brother's looking for quality or quantity."

My reply: "I only made one wine tote."

That decided it. We went for one quality bottle of wine, as opposed to multiple bottles of cheaper wine.

IMAG0189.jpg

To me, finishing this little tote was kind of a big deal. I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't do bags. They just seem awfully fussy. (says the blogger who last posted about saving the tiniest bits of fabric and scraps) But after reading through the tutorial a few times, I worked up the gumption to just start it and carefully followed the step by step directions.

I'd definitely make the tote again - it used up 2 fat quarters quite nicely, and I also was able to bust a few smaller scraps of batting. I've even entertained the idea of modifying the tutorial to make larger-sized gift bags to keep on hand for birthdays, etc.

IMAG0190

I also received my fabric for the Color Wheel Charm Swap from Stitch 'n' Frame in Vicksburg, MS. One of my projects for this week will be to cut it up into charm squares and send it along on its merry way to Kati.

In the background of the photos, you'll notice a pan of pears. We have a few pear trees in our yard that have yielded quite the harvest this summer. They're way too hard to eat raw, but native North Carolinians say they're good for cooking. I tried a recipe for crockpot pear butter over the weekend and had my first adventures in canning Sunday night. I'm very pleased to report that all my jars seem to have sealed properly. I still have at least 3 more batches (that's about 15 more pints) of pear butter ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. Great bag, Megan! It's so nice to be able to add a truly personal touch to a gift. I love making little bags to present a gift in - something that can be used again and not just trashed!

    ReplyDelete