Wednesday, September 28, 2011

31 Days of Un-Collections


Have you read about the 31 Days Series? It's a group of 8 bloggers who are blogging about one topic for 31 Days in October and inviting other bloggers to do the same.



I've always been drawn to the idea of a "posting challenge" (National Blog Posting Month in November and the like), but I've been completely intimidated by the idea at the same time. 31 (consecutive) Days of posting? From me, the queen of blog erraticism?

But this year, I'm embracing the challenge. I've been brainstorming ideas and themes to try and come up with a topic that:
1) challenges me to explore something new in quilting land or strengthens some of my existing quilt skillz, and
2) doesn't involve hours upon hours of time in front of the sewing machine and computer to create bloggable content because the dog still needs to be walked, the laundry still needs to be folded, the whole job thing, and my husband appreciates it when I talk to him face to face, rather than asking him to take dinner out of the oven via text msg when I'm sitting in the next room or maybe even on the couch beside him.



So without any further pre-amble (rambling), my theme for this year is...
31 Days of Un-Collections.

What To Expect:
Every day in October, I'll pick a color card from a site, like Design Seeds or PhotoCard Boutique, pick a group of fabric swatches to match from *different* fabric lines/collections, and pick a quilt pattern or block that I think would work well with the colors.




What I'm Hoping to Gain (Warning: Rambling Ahead):

It's no secret that I love myself a good fabric collection. I think the librarian in me absolutely cannot resist the siren song of a complete set of anything, and fabric is no exception. I have Moda pre-cuts coming out of my ears, and I have big and small plans to put them to work. Someday.

Lots of work ahead of me-e

But in the meantime, I'd like to get a little more comfortable with picking my own fabrics and breaking out of my comfort zone to explore life beyond Moda pre-cuts. (No offense to Moda, of course. Nothing can take away my love for a good charm pack.Obviously.)

The fun starts Saturday, October 1st. See you then!

Also, if you're in the market for some new blogs to follow, be sure to check out the original 31 Days bloggers' series (listed below) and the linkfests they're sponsoring. Folks are writing about any and everything in October. I'm so excited (and I just can't hide it) to get started!

Jen - 31 Days to Balancing Both Beauty and a Budget
Jessica – 31 Days of Memory Keeping
Melissa – 31 Days: Inspired Holidays
Sandy – 31 Days of Warm Connections
Darcy - 31 Days of Photo Tips
Emily - 31 Days to Change the World
Emily - 31 Days of the Little Things
Nester – 31 Days of Charming Imperfection

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your poster - how very true!!! Good luck on posting every day - I'll be interested to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! The world is just not that orderly a place (on many levels) and perfectly coordinated collections. It's a great topic to explore if for no other reason than scrap happens. Looking forward to your October posts.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! :) Looking forward to your posts!

    I blog at "Only a Breath" and would love for you to stop by if you have time! I'm writing about "31 Days to Love Your Neighbor". It has been a very interesting journey to say the least! :)

    Have a great day!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete