Monday, September 5, 2011

Hunker Down and Crank One Out


In typical fashion, I've been dabbling in a little bit of this then a little bit of that over the past few weeks. No big finishes, but I am ticking off boxes on my massive WIP list.

I took 4 piles of blocks and turned them into quilt tops.

stacks of tops 

Then I pieced battings (Yes, BaTTings) for the tops from my batting scraps. I can now close my huge bin of batting scraps without having to sit on it. (Small victories, y'all)

stacks of batting 

After that, I made a backing from my stash and basted one of the tops, then added it to my stack of quilts to be quilted.

ready to quilt 

Just last week, the hexie bug bit me HARD, and I've been assembling the supplies I'll need for an ongoing handwork project and dabbling in that.

i succumbed to hexies 

Now, I need to ignore all those projects so I can hone in and focus on an anniversary project for the Husbatron. This month's our 2nd anniversary - the "cotton" anniversary. Of course, my chosen mode of cotton is a quilt. He's been asking for a quilt mosaic of the NCSU logo for the past year or two now. This is the perfect opportunity to stop procrastinating and finally fulfill his wish.

The fabric's been purchased
(an assortment of reds from Wish Upon a Quilt mixed in with some Kona White, Kona Ash, and a couple of blacks from my stash)

ready to be strip-pieced

the pattern's been drafted (graph paper to save the world!), and I've been diligently strip-piecing 9-patches.

ncsu 9-patch

What I really need is the precision focus I managed to muster for my TMQG Solids Challenge a couple of months ago. I'll try to post some progress pics over the next few weeks without divulging too much of the quilt to the Husbatron (my #1 Crooked Seams fan, right dear?).

In the meantime, here's what we're planning to eat this week...


3 comments:

  1. Oh I love being able to close my batting bin - lol! What method do you use to piece your scraps? I've been wanting to try that adhesive stuff, I forget what it's called. Love all those hexies you've got - can't wait to see what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats on getting so much done! I had a week like this about a year ago, and while it felt great to get so much done, I kind of missed being able to pull something off the shelf and work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me about the hexie bug. I've been working with them for about 10 years! Love them.

    ReplyDelete