Monday, November 21, 2011

W.I.P. Recap

First of all, I'm so thrilled that folks are excited to play along with some strippy fun next year! If you're on the fence because you don't have any official Moda jelly rolls, don't worry, you can still play! I'm planning to cut up some of my yardage to make my own strip sets for a few months in there.

Moving on to current events. Weekend before last, I got to go on my first ever quilt retreat with TMQG over in Wrightsville Beach, NC. It was awesome. I didn't finish anything, but I did make considerable progress on a few projects that I've been ignoring for the past few months.

Like this Martinique project. Last time you saw it, it looked like this.

the perpetual disaster 

They finished at different sizes, no matter how I sliced them. Bad quilt math makes me cry.

Now, the blocks look like this (minus the big red thread spot there).

IMG_2974-e

They're still not all the same size, but I shouldn't have too many problems squaring up the snowballs to 6.5" since I have all that extra sashing on them now. For the first time in a long while, I think I actually made this project better, not worse.

Then there's my Habitat project. Officially, it was due at the October TMQG meeting. It's a good thing the guild is lenient about deadlines, since it's obviously not close to completion. I'm making some String-X blocks with the challenge fabrics, with some pieces from my scrap bin thrown in for good measure. I'm still debating on the main background color.

IMG_2973

I also worked on my Central Park hexagons while we traveled. I've finished basting ALL of my hexagons, and I'm now in the process of sewing them into flowers.

IMG_2976-e

At this point, I'm ever so slightly regretting this shade of buttercup yellow and wishing I had gone for a more mustard-y shade. But I'm not regretting it enough to baste 100+ hexagons in a different shade of yellow. Pick your battles y'all. I'm hoping that the right background color (maybe Kona Lake or Kona Aqua?) will brighten up the yellow so it doesn't wash out the other colors it touches quite so much.

If you happen to be here for the food, here's what we're planning to eat this week...
Check out today's Menu Plan Monday post at OrgJunkie if you want to see what other folks are eating this week. 

3 comments:

  1. You are doing so good on those hexes! Mine languish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog - yay! I love your jelly roll challenge - what a clever button! And I've been wanting to try Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls, so it's nice to have the tip about the butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved your quilting on your husband NCS quilt. I will also work on some strip quilts in 2012. Looking forward to see yours. Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete