Thursday, December 1, 2011

No Naked Christmas Trees Here

That's right, folks. I've finished a skirt for our tree, so it won't be quite so bare beneath it this year.

IMG_2975-e 

For the blocks, I used my Double Diamond 4-Patch Tutorial and 24 charm squares from a 12 Days of Christmas charm pack I've been hoarding saving for the right project. The background is Kona Snow scraps leftover from various projects. For the basic setting/design, I followed Tracey's tree skirt tutorial on Moda Bake Shop.

IMG_2991-e

I had to keep telling myself that this project definitely did not need to be close to perfect, since it will be overshadowed by a tree in a dark corner of our family room, and then later covered by gifts. It's a good thing, too. The machine binding nearly drove me up the wall. Between the round opening for the tree trunk in the middle and the wide angles, I was pretty far outside my comfort zone. But I soldiered on. And you can't really tell, can you?

IMG_2988-e

If you find yourself cursing stressing over binding odd angles, Heather Peterson has a couple of useful tutorials for binding both inside and outside angles. In particular, I read over the outside angle tutorial a few times to work up courage to before binding the skirt. 

I still have some charms left over from this project, so I'm thinking about making a couple of throw pillows for the couch. They'll even coordinate with the 12 Days of Christmas quilt I made last year. Even though I've never participated, I've been browsing the Pillow Talk Swap group on flickr to get some ideas. Inspiration overload much?

IMG_2154

Vital Stats:
Started: November 2011
Finished: November 2011
Machine-pieced, machine-quilted, machine-bound
Fabrics used: Kona Snow, 12 Days of Christmas by Kate Spain for Moda

I'm linking up to the Sew Cal Gal Christmas show for this year. Be sure to stop by and check out other folks' Christmas quilts!


41 comments:

  1. It looks nice.
    We sadly have no place for a christmas tree.
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous christmas skirt. Your tree will look wonderful. Love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a great tree skirt!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty tree shirt, prettier than any I have ever had. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice tree skirt. Your tree will be beautiful with this skirt around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Your tree will be well dressed from now on!=)Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...that's a lovely tree skirt

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tree skirt! The colors are beautiful and you did a superb job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tree skirt. I could use that under my tree!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely Christmas tree skirt. I finally made one a couple of years ago. They look so nice, especially once all the preents have gone!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely Christmas Tree skirt.

    Thanks for sharing in the Christmas Quilt Show and helping make it fun.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I really love that tree skirt! Very nice with all the white. And the 12 Days on black looks terrific. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really must set to and make one of these , lovely

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Christmas tree skirts - it's a great present for newlywed's first Christmas. I usually make the back light so each year you can trace the kid's handprints on it. It's lovely to get out now and put the grandkids' handprints on it too!

    doni @ Oregon coast

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful! I love your choice of fabrics and the pictures are great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am loving seeing this skirts - i should really really make one for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it! Your Xmas tree will be the best dressed this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVE them!! Great job. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very pretty tree skirt. One of these days I will get around to making one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Somehow I don't think your tree skirt will be overshadowed.... it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice tree skirt, I really need to make a new one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun! It's a skirt any tree would be proud to wear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That skirt is adorable and I love how crisp it is with the white. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very cute tree skirt.
    SallyKingemail@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice! It's interesting that you mentioned inspiration overload......sometimes I get that too! So many lovely projects out there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the combo of fabric and white! I bet that binding was tough...you did a great job. I bet this looks really nice around your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just love the tree skirt. So cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  28. how beautiful you must be so happy.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. Megan - your tree skirt turned out great! I am way impressed you binded on a curve - what a feat! I laughed out loud on the inspiration overload comment - I totally live in that space :). Pros and cons of the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am loving that tree skirt... and even thought I might try to make one... today! But I do not see how your beautiful creation was made from the MBS pattern. Other than the shape. I like yours best.

    ReplyDelete