Monday, February 27, 2012

Back! With a Finish!

You remember when I promised a parade of finished quilts a few weeks ago?

Don't worry if you don't remember. I forgot about it too.

But I'm back with a finished quilt!

My friend, Merissa, asked me if I'd make a special quilt for her special goddaughter.

I used Melissa's All Framed Up pattern from Moda Bake Shop, and I love the way it turned out!

baby quilt for nora

For the fabric, I didn't have two charm packs in the same collection in the new mom's colors of choice, so I used a charm pack of Flora by Lauren and Jessi Jung and supplemented that with some stash fabrics.

The backing is a flannel animal print. This was actually my first time using flannel in a quilt, and I'm in love with how soft and fluffy it turned out to be.

flannel backing

Like I mentioned, this quilt is going to a special baby. Nora was born premature and is looking at spending the first 6 or so months of her life in the hospital for multiple operations. I'm sure she and her parents would covet your good thoughts and prayers over the next few months.

my fave block

Stats:
Started: January 2012
Finished: January 2012
Machine-pieced, machine-quilted
Fabric: Flora by Lauren and Jessi Jung for Moda, various stash fabrics

9 comments:

  1. It's REALLY wonderful, and it sounds like it's going to go to someone who needs a good snuggly blanket.

    On another note, flannel - I just put together something with flannel and found it to be SO incredibly linty. So much so that it turned me off from flannel in quilts. I'm wondering though if there are good and bad flannels and whether I'm maybe using a not-so-good one. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flannel on the back of quilts. Use good quality and you are good to go. Is this charm squares plus bigger? or is it a jellyroll too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so pretty, Megan! I love the pattern and especially the back!! I'm getting ready to make a quilt for my soon- to-be-here granddaughter and I think I'm going to use flannel on the back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan, this turned out great! I know this quilt will be cherished by this baby and family. What a gift of love for this sweet baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilt seems so much more fluffy in the quilting. Like the shrinkage had a hand in it. Your quilt usually don't poof like that. Is that a factor or the less dense e quilting or flannel?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty, pretty finish. You did such a good job meshing in some of your stash....looks spot on to me. Prayers for baby Nora.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, what a special gift for a very special girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that quilt! Great pattern, and your fabric selection is perfect.

    ReplyDelete