Thursday, February 9, 2012

Half-Square Triangle Bliss

This is one of those quilts that definitely percolated on the backburner last year, but I think it might be my favorite project that I started during 2011.

HST finished

Don't get me wrong. This quilt was not devoid of angst or stress.

draped on the back deck

Piecing the quilt wasn't an ordeal at all. It was a bit tedious making all those half-square triangle quilts, but I needed a nice mindless piecing project at that point in the year. I decided to amp up the simple construction with some high-powered quilting.

close-up #2

All that pebble quilting makes for a striking effect, but it's definitely not the kind of quilting that's associated with immediate gratification and quick closure to a project.

ready for the close-up

In the end, though, I'm so glad I decided to take my time on it and just enjoy the process. Well, except for the laundering part. I enjoyed the rest of it, though.

Vital Stats:
  • Started: May 2011
  • Finished: January 2012
  • Machine-pieced, machine-quilted
  • Fabric: Kona Snow (background), Chrysalis by Sanae, Freebird by Momo

11 comments:

  1. it really looks amazing... but holy cow, it must have taken FOR.EV.ER...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just fabulous, Megan! It may be tedious quilting, but it really gives an already great design a lot of punch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tedious but well worth it. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt and the quilting...superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The quilting is incredible! I know it must have taken a sweet forever, but it's just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did you piece it together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I may have commented on the pebble quilting on this one before, but it's worth repeating!!
    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your color choices here, its really rich with the white contrast. The quilting will make it drape and snuggle nicely on the couch, including adding a little extra weight and warms with all that thread(holy cow). Just Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan, I can't tell you how much I love this quilt. It is gorgeous-- beautiful! And the quilting is beyond stunning! The whole thing just pops! I love what the quilter did with the centers. I have a layer cake of that fabric... I might just have to copy you:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, this is a beautiful quilt. Just gorgeous. I too think keeping shout color catchers on hand is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What pattern is this? It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete