Monday, March 5, 2012

Botanical Floral Bouquet

The sun finally returned to NC over the weekend. I snapped this photo yesterday, as soon as the quilt came out of the dryer.

botany finished

I glanced at my archive last night and realized I didn't really have too many in-process posts for this quilt. That dearth of posts is largely due to lots of stuff going on at work. Once I made the time to sit down and do something fun, I wanted to sew, not blog about sewing, y'know?

just the top

So I'll do my best to recap the details for this quilt. I actually followed a pattern for February - woohoo! I used the Floral Bouquet pattern from Jelly Roll Quilts by Pam and Nicky Lintott. After winging it in January without the official pattern, it was kind of a relief to have clearly written directions to follow.

Of course, I didn't follow the pattern *exactly.* I changed up the borders and the settings. Other quilts from this pattern are long and skinny with skinny-minnie borders, made from leftover strips. Since I had a large-scale print for the border, I decided to make my quilt a little stouter with chunky borders just on the top and bottom. I changed up the setting for the middle of the quilt, too. Instead of having a rectangular on-point setting, I opted for a square on-point setting for the middle. I had to make an extra block, using a strip from my stash, but besides that, everything worked out pretty perfectly.

IMG_3073-e

Here's a close-up of the quilting (and the awesome border fabric!). I did a squiggly line grid on the diagonal in the middle, and some large loops in the borders. It's pretty wide quilting, compared to some of my other quilts, so it's nice and snuggly.

IMG_3072-e

Here's a shot of my favorite block. That bright pink just makes me happy.

IMG_3071-e

For the background, I used Kona Khaki, since I didn't really like the look of any of the white/cream background colors with this fabric. They all seemed to wash out the bright colors when I tested them out.

amelia scrap bag

Finally, the winner of the Amelia scrap bag/strip roll is Carla, who made a super-cute strippy quilt from the Reunion fabrics by Sweetwater. Carla - be sure to check your email for a message from me!

Thanks so much to everyone who participated in the February party. 26 more days until the March party starts - that's plenty of time to work up a strippy quilt (top), if you're so inclined.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to Carla - that was just a gorgeous tube pattern quilt. Thank you for hosting and have my new one in the works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice quilt! Looks so soft. And Love the wavy quilting lines.

    ReplyDelete