Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Trends


I'm finally giving in to the Granny Square madness. I'm using Jolene's tutorial to make up Granny square blocks from a charm pack and some stash for my March jelly roll project.

So, for those of you who haven't yet played along with the jelly roll challenge because you didn't have an official jelly roll, this month's for you.

I started with a half-dozen or so half-yard cuts that I cut down into 2.5" strips, along with a coordinating charm pack I happened to have on hand, but you can substitute more strips if you'd like.


IMG_3065-e


All told, I'm going to need 30 strips to construct the blocks the way I want.

I'm still on the prowl for some Kona Ivory fabric from a local source to round out the rest of my background. I only need one more yard of it, and I keep hoping that the Hancock Fabrics near my house (where I polished off the last of the bolt) will get it back in stock in the next week or so. All my other usual fabric haunts are out/backordered for this particular color, and I hate to order online for just one measly yard of fabric, y'know?

I know a lot of people are using granny square mania as a good excuse to use up their scraps, but I'm really excited to go with a controlled color palate for this block. Admittedly, the Etchings line from 3 Sisters is supposed to be reminiscent of French city streets, but I can't help thinking of Downton Abbey when I work with this fabric (speaking of trends).


homemade jelly roll

Anyways, back to the cutting board for me!

2 comments:

  1. Pretty choices! And I am going to have a jelly roll quilt for this month - woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I found you through Grace and Favour and I've become a new follower! I've been making granny squares too and I love your idea of using Etchings! Anything reminiscent of Downton Abbey is perfect! Great blog! Deborah aka SimplyMissLuella

    ReplyDelete