Wednesday, April 4, 2012

W.i.P. Wednesday - Checking Boxes

Even though I didn't completely finish my jelly roll quilt for March, I did manage to cross out a few boxes on my nutty WiP spreadsheet this past week.

As I mentioned earlier, I finished the top for my granny squares quilt. I had a craaaazy Friday night, holed up in the sewing room. I turned my stack of granny squares from last week
squared up granny squares

into the quilt top you see today.
granny squares quilt top

I also managed to finish up the blocks for my truant Habitat project that the Triangle Modern Quilt Guild started last fall. [Update: I followed the instructions for the Nittany block party version of Bonnie Hunter's original String-X tutorial.]

Habitat string-x blocks 

And I finished the blocks for my Martinique project that I started 2+ years ago. This project has been a bit trying. My original plan was to create one big quilt for the guest bed with alternating 9-patches and snowball blocks. The problem: I had a bad quilt math session, and the blocks ended up being about 1/2" off in size - the 9-patches were slightly larger than the snowballs.

quilting arithmetic fail

So I trimmed the snowballs up some

the perpetual disaster

added some sashing

IMG_2974-e

and then this weekend, I decided that life is too short to keep futzing around with these blocks. Since I started this project a couple of years ago, I've made a quilt for the guest bed that matches fairly well.

from the other side

So I'm just going to leave the blocks as they are - 2 totally different sizes.

Martinique turning point 

They'll still be part of one quilt, but it won't be bed-sized. It will be a smaller reversible quilt, with the 9-patch blocks on one side and the snowballs on the other.

The decision has been made. I feel better now, don't you?

  • Projects started this week: 0
  • Projects "finished" this week: 1 - Finished is in quotes because I technically didn't finish anything. I just decided I wasn't going to make throw pillows from Martinique fabric, so I removed that row from the spreadsheet. 
  • Number of boxes I checked off: 4 - holla!
  • Total number of projects: 23

I'm linking up over at Lee's weekly WiP Wednesday feature at Freshly Pieced. Head over there to see what everyone else has been working on this week. 



5 comments:

  1. Your projects are all so lovely. The guest bed looks awesome, and those blocks for the habitat project are really cool. What pattern is that, if you don't mind sharing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the granny square quilt! What pretty colors. The snowball quilt looks very cool too. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Love the habitat progress. I just finished mine so I could show it last month at a quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still can't believe how quickly you did that Granny Square Quilt. Looks great! And I love the Habitat quilt too. Oh, and I just nominated you for a Liebster Award - hope that's OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the WIP Spreadsheet. What a way to stay organized. Really!

    ReplyDelete