Friday, June 1, 2012

Empty


It's finally happened. I've lost temporarily misplaced my avid desire to start a new project. After I finished my H2H/May Jelly Roll quilt last night (pictures to come after the the torrential downpours pass through), I realized that I have no idea what I want to work on next. This is very strange. Normally, the whole time I'm quilting and binding a quilt, I'm plotting my next project. Don't get me wrong. I still have a crazy spreadsheet, listing all my jelly rolls and all the jelly roll patterns I'd like to do, but after perusing the list and spending some quality time searching pinterest, nothing's jumping out at me for my June project.



It might be that work stress is seeping into my quilting life. Normally, I'd like to think I'm pretty good at compartmentalizing (I dunno if the Husbatron would agree with me), but it's the time of year when work starts to get a little bit out of control. The ordeal of deciding on a new project, making a list of needed supplies, and shopping for them is just about enough to push me over the edge right now. Normally, all the preparatory research and list-making is the piece de resistance of the quilting process for me.

Source: jokideo.com via K on Pinterest


So, in order to soothe my apparently fragile psyche, I'm not going to start any new strippy projects in June. I'm going to try and finish at least one of the four strippy projects on my WiP list. Here are the projects currently in my queue:

daisy chain in happy campers
The Happy Campers quilt I made at the last minute for the May jelly roll party


granny squares quilt top
The Etchings quilt that still needs about 21 feather blocks quilted


IMAG0051.jpg
A spiderweb quilt I started last winter for Quilts of Valor


joyous strings
A string block project I started from some free scraps TMQG received from Kate Spain (QuiltDad is my homeboy!)

Repeat: I'm not planning to finish all these projects. That would just make me crazy. But I would like to finish at least one, and I'm thrilled to have multiple projects to choose from that are in various stages of the process.

After all, I haven't started yet on my quilt blocks for the TMQG summer block swap, unlike some diligent members. If I make 3 blocks a week between now and the end of the month, I'll be set for the July meeting, when the blocks are due. When we received all the fabrics for the block swap, I thought to myself, if I make one block a week, I'll be set for the July meeting. Now I'm up to 3 blocks/week. Am I the only one who does this kind of deadline math in my head but doesn't always follow through?

Alright, does anyone out there have a roadmap of their next few projects? Spill!

Also, if you're looking to enter the jelly roll party for May, check out this post.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Megan, I think we all have those "dry" times. Finishing is good for the soul. That alone can give one a boost. Enjoy working on your projects.
    Looking forward to seeing that spiderweb one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually just coming out of one of those times. I've been keeping up with bee blocks, but that's been about it. I have two quilts to make as Christmas presents this year (yeah, I said it) and I knew what fabrics I was going to use, just not what patterns. Finally pulled my thumb out and decided on a pattern for one, and have spent odd moments cutting for it all week. So excited to have tomorrow off and start putting blocks together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel bad about not wanting to start something new. I'm working on the large center section for a crazy quilt right now.... and I sort of dread working on it, because I never feel like I'm getting anywhere. http://mouseinmypocket.com/2012/05/its-getting-crazy/ If I ever get that center piece finished, I've got several quilt ideas floating around my pinterest boards, and a couple other in progress projects I should actually work on.

    ReplyDelete