Friday, September 21, 2012

Get Ready for It: 31 Days of String Blocks


Last fall, I participated in the Nester's 31 Days series, with a series of "un-collections" posts, where I took a color palette, found some fabric swatches to match, and then picked out an accompanying pattern or tutorial.

It was lots of fun, challenging at times, and it kicked my butt to blog for so many days within a short period of time. But in some ways, it was very unsatisfying as a quilt blogger. I was hypothetically describing all these quilts that would be fun to make, but I didn't actually make any of them. Added to that, my blog posts were awfully dry towards the end. I usually blog when I feel strongly enough about something or make enough headway on a project to justify a blog post. So this year, I'm hoping I'll actually have something that I made to talk about each day, not just something that I hacked together from images on the Internet.

31daysbutton

First, this year, I want to do something a bit more creative. Not that last year's series wasn't creative, per se, but I didn't have anything physical to show for it at the end of the month. I've been brainstorming different ideas, and I think I've finally settled on one: 31 Days of String Blocks. I still have a good bucketful of Joy strings leftover from July's jelly roll project, so I have plenty of raw materials to work with.

Second, I'm going to be more organized about the series this year. I already have a spreadsheet (surprise!) of all the blocks I've found to make and share, and I'm hoping to pull them all together in some sort of sampler quilt (top) by Christmas time. We'll see how it goes.

Now I'm not stupid. I know that it's very unlikely that I'll be able to make 1 block a day every day in October and then have the time to blog about said block. I have too much laundry. So instead, I'm starting early. I've been making a few blocks here and there as I have time and drafting posts so that they're ready to go come October.

So between now and October 1st, start amassing some strings and selvedges (selvages?) and get ready to play along.

4 comments:

  1. I have a lot of strips, many 2 1/2" strips left over from jelly roll projects in my scraps. Also strips of varying widths and lengths from trimming quilts before binding. I love strip blocks and quilts. Love to make them, too. I look forward to your 31 days of strip blocks. Think I'll SEW along with you if you don't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fun Megan. I will be watching ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect timing! I have been looking for string block ideas as I would like to make that style of quilt for my son. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I love string blocks. Not that I've ever made one...

    ReplyDelete