Wednesday, September 5, 2012

WiP Wednesday + Just 3

From a blogging perspective, writing a series of advice-laden posts about machine quilting worked out pretty well, since I haven't been especially productive with my actual quilting projects the last few days.

We spent Labor Day weekend at the beach with some friends. The only sewing I've accomplished the past few days has been hand-sewing hexies in the car. 

It's time to get down to the brass tax of things. I've registered three quilts in a local quilt show for next month. Here's the catch: none of them is finished yet. Yeah, I know, right? I'm pretty lucky that I belong to a guild lax enough to allow such heresy. 

So in order from the least amount of work to the most amount of work, here's what needs to happen this month: 

1. Bind my Bliss quilt - includes making the binding, attaching it to the front, and hand-sewing to the back.

IMAG0329

2. Finish machine-quilting my Joy Sunshine in the Shadows quilt, make binding, attach binding, and hand-sew it to the back. I only have a couple more rows worth of blocks to machine quilt. With any luck, I'll be done with the quilting by the weekend.

#fmq party on the front

3. My Central Park hexagon quilt - This is where the pedal really needs to hit the metal. Admittedly, I wanted to wrap up this quilt in time to enter it in the Festival of Hexagons, but that didn't happen. Here's the photo I submitted with my registration

megankilb_1506

A few things you might or might not notice: 

  • The hexagons aren't actually stitched down to the background. Seriously.
  • I haven't even stitched the background fabric into one large piece yet. I just folded it over on one of the ends so that the two large pieces of yardage would be the same size.
  • The picture is blurry as @#$% in an attempt to mask some of the "freshness" of the project.

Like I said, the guild is very forgiving. 

Central park hexagons

It might be a bit of a stretch for me to finish the hexagon quilt in time for the show, but I know that if I don't have a real deadline, it will just sit in my WiP pile for months on end. Plus, I really do want to enter it in the show. It's the first year we're having a "modern" category, and I'm hoping that this will be an apt contribution to the category - whimsical use of negative space, a re-invention of a modern design, along with bright, vibrant colors. 

What's everyone else got on tap for the week/month? 

I'm linking up to WiP Wednesday (at Freshly Pieced) and Just Three (over at traceyjay quilts)

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced traceyjay quilts

Also, if you have any jelly roll/strippy quilts or quilt tops that you finished in August, don't forget to link up to the Let Me See Your Jelly Roll! party for August. I forgot to mention that I slacked off in August and didn't track down a jelly roll or scrap bag for the winner. So I'll just have one of my favorite shops send a scrap bag of some variety to the winner for August. 

7 comments:

  1. I totally understand. You hang in there, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have the flowers - my hexies sit in a tote, lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you planning to attach the hexies by hand? Lovely projects, all three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you've got your work cut out for you!! But I know you can do it. Love that hexie quilt - but with Kate Spain, how can you possibly go wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess there are no idle hands at your place either : ) Great looking projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting looks great. I too have the same problem as you on my hexagon table runner. They just need to be stitched down and for it to be quilted. It has been in my WIP pile for almost two years, so I your deadline is a great one :) Good luck on your goals this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quilting look amazing, and your hexagons are to envy for.. Love..

    ReplyDelete