We spent Labor Day weekend at the beach with some friends. The only sewing I've accomplished the past few days has been hand-sewing hexies in the car.
It's time to get down to the brass tax of things. I've registered three quilts in a local quilt show for next month. Here's the catch: none of them is finished yet. Yeah, I know, right? I'm pretty lucky that I belong to a guild lax enough to allow such heresy.
So in order from the least amount of work to the most amount of work, here's what needs to happen this month:
1. Bind my Bliss quilt - includes making the binding, attaching it to the front, and hand-sewing to the back.
2. Finish machine-quilting my Joy Sunshine in the Shadows quilt, make binding, attach binding, and hand-sew it to the back. I only have a couple more rows worth of blocks to machine quilt. With any luck, I'll be done with the quilting by the weekend.
3. My Central Park hexagon quilt - This is where the pedal really needs to hit the metal. Admittedly, I wanted to wrap up this quilt in time to enter it in the Festival of Hexagons, but that didn't happen. Here's the photo I submitted with my registration
A few things you might or might not notice:
- The hexagons aren't actually stitched down to the background. Seriously.
- I haven't even stitched the background fabric into one large piece yet. I just folded it over on one of the ends so that the two large pieces of yardage would be the same size.
- The picture is blurry as @#$% in an attempt to mask some of the "freshness" of the project.
Like I said, the guild is very forgiving.
It might be a bit of a stretch for me to finish the hexagon quilt in time for the show, but I know that if I don't have a real deadline, it will just sit in my WiP pile for months on end. Plus, I really do want to enter it in the show. It's the first year we're having a "modern" category, and I'm hoping that this will be an apt contribution to the category - whimsical use of negative space, a re-invention of a modern design, along with bright, vibrant colors.
What's everyone else got on tap for the week/month?
Also, if you have any jelly roll/strippy quilts or quilt tops that you finished in August, don't forget to link up to the Let Me See Your Jelly Roll! party for August. I forgot to mention that I slacked off in August and didn't track down a jelly roll or scrap bag for the winner. So I'll just have one of my favorite shops send a scrap bag of some variety to the winner for August.