Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 21: 9-Patches

Whenever I don't know what kind of quilt to make, a 9-patch is one of the first places my mind goes. It's a reliable block that's relatively quick and easy, and it's versatile. I still haven't met a 9-patch I don't like. Today's block is no exception.

giant 9patch

It's 12.5" (will finish at 12-ish"), and each of the string units is 4.5". I just cut out (5) 4.5" squares from some scrap paper and added some strings with horizontal seams. If you've got strings that are much smaller, you can probably get away with smaller 9-patches - maybe 3.5" or less. But I was no mood to deal with skinny strings, so I went big.

ALSO, I just realized that I've been so wrapped up in this string madness that I forgot to draw a winner for the September jelly roll party. Random.org chose Kate, who made a rockin' quilt with some of her Joy scraps!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to Kate and thank you for hosting another month. I am enjoying your string blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see you are still working that Joy fabric, Megan! Can't wait to see the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete