Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day 4: Things Get Wild

A few years ago, everyone and their sister was making a "Wild Thing" quilt. You know the one I'm talking about, right? The chunky-looking pinwheels with the contrasting background?

I think Camille was probably the one who resurrected this quilt block from Ye Olden Days when she released her Wild Thing pattern.

I made a couple of these blocks for my very first bee month EVER

DSCN1089 

And then I made a billion miniature blocks and sewed them into a quilt top that still sits under the guest room bed, but what do you do?

IMG_2181

Then last winter, I saw Jodi's scrappy chunky pinwheel pattern, and I went bananas - B-A-N-A-N-A-S! The scrappiness and whimsical pattern just gets me in all the right places.

So here's my stringy holiday interpretation of it:

stringy wild thing

I think I cut my units at a sharper angle than most of the other quilts online, but I like it that way. It does, however, mean that the block squares up to only 8" (unfinished), instead of 8.5."

5 comments:

  1. FUN!! And I really love the sharper angles. Looks more pin-wheelish to me that way.

    Can I say how I envy your nice sewing desk?? Wish I had a flat surface like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I like that Christmas-y string block - but I love the quilt you've been hiding under the guest room bed!! Get that one out and finish it!!! Much too pretty to hide away.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! As long as all your blocks measure the same, who cares if they are 8" not 8.5"? That is what makes it YOUR quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so cute! I can just see a whole quilt of these:)

    ReplyDelete