Monday, November 26, 2012

Fresh Starts


I've said it before, but I'll say it again. In some ways, I like Mondays - they smack of fresh starts, and I always have this glass half full Pollyanna kind of hope that this is the week I'll make something AMAZING happen.

This week, I'm feeling especially optimistic. I'm coming off an unplanned two-week break from work. I came down with the kind of cold that I wouldn't wish on the nastiest member of the quilt police force. The downside(s): my work email was a disaster zone when I got in today, and I think I'll be catching up on laundry for the rest of the year. The upside: I completely lost my appetite for two weeks straight and have started the holiday season 5 pounds lighter - hollaback, y'all! I'll claim my small victories where I can.

I didn't really have enough energy to muster sitting upright in front of the sewing machine while I was sick. I spent most of my time off curled up on the couch with my trusty heating pad and cozy fall quilts, watching Desperate Housewives, Bones, and Game of Thrones. Luckily, I had just returned from the TMQG retreat, where I had finished quilting my hexagon quilt and had the binding all ready to go. And there were a few other quilts that I had finished MONTHS back that still needed to have threads nipped and tucked before they were camera-ready. I logged many hours on the couch last week and the week before, stitching and snipping away in an over the counter drug-induced haze. When I wasn't sleeping or petting the pup, I was stitching and snipping. Also, just before I came down with The Pestilence, I had snapped some photos of other completed quilts that have been sitting in my mental "to blog" file for a good long time now. All this to say, I have a load of finished quilts to show this week.

How about a good old-fashioned quilt parade to kick off the holiday season?

In the spirit of the upcoming season, let's start with this beauty.

Joy string quilt!
I pieced this quilt top back in July for my jelly roll/strippy monthly challenge. I used some scraps of Joy, Kate Spain's holiday collection for this year, to make some basic string blocks.

concentric circle quilting
Then I cut them in half to make half square triangles with some Kona Snow a la this post, decided to lay out the blocks in alternating directions, and sashed them with some more snow fabric for good measure.

black and white to see the quilting
For the quilting, I used the concentric circles pattern from Angela Walters' book. It's my new favorite quilting pattern. I'm already plotting projects to use it again.

#Fmq from the back 
The backing fabric is Kona Chartreuse. Going into the project, I knew I wanted to do the concentric circles quilting pattern, and I wanted a solid backing that would highlight the quilting, for better or worse. It's definitely not my normal color palette - it's crazy-bright and always surprises me a little bit when I see it. I always think, "Whoa, who let that color in this house?" But I like it. I'm going to keep it.

Joy string quilt! 

Stats:

  • Started: May 2012
  • Finished: September 2012
  • Machine-pieced, machine-quilted
For the first time ever, I actually managed to finish AND write up one of my modern-ish looking quilts on Monday, so I'm linking up to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations.

11 comments:

  1. So funny - ESP, some of us Jelly Rollers where just asking about you - yes, you were ill! Oh, I had a few of those 'curl on the couch days' myself. Glad you are feeling better and I just love this quilt, even the zinger backing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you should keep it! It's fantastic. Love the layout of the strings/HSTs. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about you, but didn't want to bug you. Lovely to see you again ; )
    Your quilt is very pretty, and the quilting......oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant wait to see the quilts you finished!! Glad you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite quilts. I am glad I saw it in person. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is so beautiful~! I am like you... love, love, love Mondays. Anything seems possible on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - a very fresh and crisp design - Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain - I am getting over pneumonia and haven't felt like doing squat....I love the quilt - Won't you consider sharing it in the
    2012 Christmas Quilt Show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the secondary zigzag pattern. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt and wonderful quilting! Those concentric circles by Angela Walters are my new favourite design too :)

    ReplyDelete