As you might guess, today's quilt is going straight to Quilts of Valor.
DOQ sponsored a sew-in one Saturday LAST summer, where folks brought their sewing machines, the guild brought the fabric, and we worked on soldier quilts to give to Quilts of Valor.
It was hot outside, and I was too lazy to haul my sewing machine out in the heat, unload it, etc, so I just brought my rotary cutter and rulers and stationed myself at a cutting mat and ironing board the whole day. I trimmed blocks and pressed seams as people needed it. In between, I went through the huge boxes of patriotic scraps the guild had accumulated and starting cutting up the small pieces to make Just One Star blocks. By the end of the day, I had cut out enough fabric to make the star centers of 36 blocks. So I took the mini-kits home, made up the blocks, added the larger sashing pieces from my stash, and sewed them all together. Then the quilt top sat at the bottom of my pile for months. Literally, months.
I finally worked up the gumption to make the backing and baste the quilt early this summer. Then the quilt sat a little longer. I finally quilted it with a large meander stippling stitch, and then I let it sit quilted but unbound for even longer. Come September, I finally decided enough was enough. I made the binding from some of the leftover backing fabric, and tacked it on there by machine on both sides.
I really like the scrappiness of the blocks, and I think the fact that I only used 2-3 sashing fabrics to set the stars on point helps to tone down the busy-ness of the stars.
Started: July 2011
Finished: September 2012